Ceramic Hob

mobileme

Glass on top of our ceramic hob is cracked on one side (heavy glass dropped on it) and will need to be replaced. Question is, do I need to replace the whole hob or I can I just replace the glass and where would I look for this?

Hob is Belling Fastlite.

I'd say your best off replacing the lot- you could probably buy a nice new slimline hob for about €300. Picture that versus taking out old unit, dismantling, replacing glass and reassembling. Sounds like too much effort for me anyway.

mobileme said:
Glass on top of our ceramic hob is cracked on one side (heavy glass dropped on it) and will need to be replaced. Question is, do I need to replace the whole hob or I can I just replace the glass and where would I look for this?

Hob is Belling Fastlite.

Check with the shop where you bought it. For what it's worth my household insurance policy ( Allianze ) specifically refers to cover for broken glass in hobs so that would suggest that the glass on its own is replaceable .

Thanks, the hob was in house when we bought it so I don't know where it was originally purchased but I will ask in shops in the area. Will also check my home insurance policy this evening.

Even if you have accidental cover your excess (usually at least €150-€250) and the impact on future premiums may make claiming not really worth the hassle.

ClubMan said:
Even if you have accidental cover your excess (usually at least €150-€250) and the impact on future premiums may make claiming not really worth the hassle.

Interestingly you don't need accidental cover on your Alliance house policy to claim for glass on a hob if you so wished - wouldn't recommend it though for the reasons you cite.

I got a flyer in the door recently (don't have it anymore though), about a place in Ballymount or Ballyfermot that sells slightly, and according to what I hear it does mean very slightly, damaged appliances - might be worth a look for a new hob if someone here has the details.

I think it may have had the word Celtic in their name.

Surely ceramic hobs aren't so expensive these days that buying an even slightly damaged one is worth the hassle? On the other hand - look after the pennies... :)

Back