CDs and DVDs purchased from 7dayshop.com

C

CCOVICH

Recently purchased a box of 800mb/90minute cds and a spindle of 25 dvds from 7dayshop.com. So far, the cds only hold 702mb (same as a 700mb cd) and the dvds don't work at all (i.e. I can copy movies to other blank dvds I have, but not these ones). Anyone else have problems when ordering this kind of stuff from 7dayshop? Both products are made by e-Proformance.

P.S. If this post would be more appropriate for another forum, please feel free to move it.

Hi CCOVICH

Why don't you return them? The seller will be liable to pay the postage.They are clearly faulty.

This would be covered by UK consumer Sales of Goods Law and by distance selling laws regardless of what might be stated on the website.

Marion :hat

CCOVICH: are you sure that your CD burning software can write a full 800MB? I'm not sure if Roxio can do this, either way maybe you should try different software such as Alcohol 120%. Are the blank DVDs the correct format ( + or -) for your burner/player? Burning successfully DVDs can be as bit tricky.

Ditto. I've used e-Proformance CD-Rs and DVD-Rs without any problem. But I had to use Nero and [broken link removed] (the latter is free) - Roxio wouldn't do it...

I am using DVD Shrink. When I put the DVD in my DVD drive,it says 0mb free???? When I try to copy a DVD, it starts on about an 'illegal disc'. Nothing wrong with the software, used a memorex dvd to copy the same dvd successfully.

Cheers for the replies.

P.S. am using a Fujitsu Siemens Laptop.

Any chance you're using DVD RW discs and that you need to format them before use?

there are several DVD formats - DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW etc. Do you have the correct format for what you are trying to do? Most of the really cheap DVDs are DVD+R, for example, which don't work on my mac!

Any chance you're using DVD RW discs and that you need to fo

Maybe that's it. How do I go about doing this? I have Nero and DVD Shrink.

Re: Any chance you're using DVD RW discs and that you need t

Firstly, look at the disk you're trying. Is it DVD-R or DVD+R (writeable to only once) or DVD-/+RW (rewriteable). If you've Nero installed, you should be able to just right-click on the DVD drive in Windows Explorere and select 'Format'... (in fact, if you insert an informatted -/+RW disk, Nero should by rights pop up a screen telling you so and asking if you want to format it now).

If it's a +/- media compatibility problem - somewhere in the manual there must be technical specifications for the DVD drive (or try the Fujitsu Siemens website?) That should tell you whether it supports DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, dual layer burning, etc. For example, the current 'entry-level' AMILO A7640 supports all the above, but I don't know if that's the model you have...?

Nero's will tell you all you need to know about your drive and your media.

The drive is DVD+RW RW8165. The laptop is a Fujitsu Simens Amilo L6825. As far as I can tell, this isn't a compatibility problem, as the drive supports both DVD+R and RW (The discs in question are DVD+R). Have been in contact with the manufacturer, and it looks like I may need a firmware upgrade. Can't seem to format the DVDs, as the InCD format option only allows you to format a CD by the looks of it.

Latest firmware for that drive is available here. Make sure you know what you're doing when doing firmware upgrades.

Back