CD Storage

Drakon

I have about 500 CDs and since moving house last year they're still in boxes. I'd like to put them in some proper storage, like specific CD storage racks/cabinets/shelving/etc.

However, since the rise of MP3s few retailers stock these anymore. I was hoping some members have suggestions? Argos do seem to have a variety of CD (and DVD storage).
I did a search on the Ikea website but what it returned was just bookcases.

I wrote a similar post to this on a different forum last week and I got plenty of replies, but none answered my questions, e.g.:
  • Copy to CDs to MP3 and use and iPod (pass, CD sound quality is superior to MP3)
  • Just use a bookcase (pass, I want it as compact as possible)

I'd a look on Amazon and saw a few nice one made by Hama. But a lot of the standard cabinet-stlye were just adjustable shelving units (with poor reviews).

Thanks.

Look again at IKEA bookcases and get some additional (glass) shelves (from IKEA). Makes good use of space. Worked for me.

I have ripped most of my CD's to 320kbps MP3's, and some to FLAC (just to see how it works). 320kpbs MP3 (or equivalent AAC) is more than good enough. It would be very difficult indeed to hear the difference even on Hi-End kit, never mind iPhone headphones. So no need to not use MP3 IMO.
FLAC is insofar nice as it is lossless so you can re-create the CD bit accurate if you want, and not that much bigger than high-bitreate MP3. Might however not be straightforward to have universal FLAC support. MP3 however is supported by pretty much any device that can play music.

Ikea has a CD shelving unit http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/...-shelving-unit-brown-ash-veneer-art-00323364/
comes in different colours, and works very well IMO.
There's a lot of 80ies & 90ies type CD shelving on ebay as well. I did invest into a nice network music player though and all CD's go into boxes immediately after ripping them.

I agree with riya99, I too have tried the same thing, though my collection is not that large, it has worked well for me.

When you say storage, do you want to put them on display, or packed away safely? I'm guessing the former.

A good cabinet maker will be able to build a unit to your requirements to fit in with you existing furniture / space. But that will obviously cost more.

You can also get media storage inserts like those [broken link removed] that will transform a regular bookcase / drawer unit to a more effective solution.

Like many I have moved from bulky CD to mp3/flac based collections. However looking at the displays here on PINTEREST, if you have 500 CD's there are plenty cool ideas. Look on Pinterest / CD Storage.

I had the same problem with DVDs taking over my house and used something similar to [broken link removed] and used alphabet stickers on the sides to keep them in alpha order. DVDs that were taking up a full ikea billy bookcase now only take up 2 shelves with loads of space left in each folder to expand the collection. Just be cautious of the stated capacity, the ones I got were supposed to hold 42 discs but only hold about 30 before the cheap zip and seams start stretching to breaking point!!

When you say storage, do you want to put them on display, or packed away safely? I'm guessing the former.

A good cabinet maker will be able to build a unit to your requirements to fit in with you existing furniture / space. But that will obviously cost more.

not necessarily, currently pricing some wardrobes for a bedroom and 2 local guys both with years of experience are undercutting Cash and Carry kitchens by around 40%. Shop around and it's amazing the value you'll find

Reactions: Leo
Back