Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

BPM

hi all,
Sorry re previous mistakes re above earlier

Friend looking at purchasing a three bed in castlerea.

All advice would be appreciated.

Re: castlerea co Roscommon

BPM, what sort of advice are you looking for? Castlerea is a small town. It has the usual facilities. Lidl opened there recently. It is expanding, lots of houses in the pipeline. There are no large stores for shopping. People go to Athlone, or Roscommon town, where Tesco and Dunnes stores recently opened. If you have another question ask me I might be able to answer.

And of course it has the prison and a railway station. Other than that I dont know what to tell you. The area is average (my own opinion).

Thanks Swallows for your reply.

Latest (yesterday) friend who is relocating to Roscommon town has viewed a new three bed semi detached in an area called knockroe in castlerea ,house is very well finished and within her price range.

She is very interested in purchasing this house and would rent out the remaining two rooms.

The following are her main queries

Current rental market?
What is the social scene like?
Is there a gym locally?

Thanks in advance

BPM, I am not aware of any gym in Castlerea. There is one nightclub and plenty of pubs, but I suspect people travel to find their entertainment. I wouldn't know about the rental market but I had a look in the local paper, Roscommon Herald, and they are advertising rooms to let but no price given. There is an outdoor swimming pool but most people go to Roscommon Town where there is a new indoor pool.

I have just asked my daughter who says not to expect city facilities as Castlerea is a small town. In her opinion the nearest decent gym would be in Carrick-on-Shannon but if your point of reference is Dublin then that would still be classed as a small gym.

Yes, Knockroe would be convenient for getting to Roscommon town and would take about twenty minutes. It is an up and coming town but as yet has not got enough facilities, but if someone works in Roscommon town then they can shop there etc.

Was in castlerea satuarday. Walked the main streets as time on hand. Last time I did that was 40 years ago as a young lad. It has not even changed in the interim! No coffe shop, no restuarants that I could see. Only place to get a coffee was in the old hotel. If you like the retro stuff, you might like it here. Oh , plenty of pubs!

Agree with Runner, have known Castlerea as a town for nearly 20years and can't say it has ever changed over the years, quite a drab place IMHO.
However what it needs are people to buy property which should be affordable there, increase the population and services will follow thereafter as the economics begin to make sense!!

Back