Car running on LPG

patspost

Has anybody converted their car to run on LPG, or purchased a car that runs on LPG, just wondering why there isn't more debate about it.
Are there any insurence issues ?,
happy with availability of supply?
is it possible to top up from the gas supply at home?
any other issues ?
Not worth my own while as the car is '96 and wouldn't justify the expense.
Tks

Main factor really is the cost of converting the car to run on LPG in the first place and the fact that it's not available at that significant a discount to petrol (bearing in mind less mpg on gas). Also LPG isn't available that widely.

As far as economy is concerned diesel is, in Ireland at least, the better value option. In the UK there are grants available for converting a car to LPG and the gas is cheaper too (and more widely available).

Sorry Eurofan but you are wrong about the UK, Gordon Brown abolished those grants some time ago, however vehicles that are converted to run on LPG by approved installers are exempt from the congestion charge in central London

Ah indeed. A little investigating revealed last March as the cut-off point for the grant. A real shame that and I don't see the logic behind it either especially given the last year of fuel prices. :rolleyes:

I think the uptake of the conversion and the volume of fuel used didn't justify the special exemption and no doubt the additional paperwork and bureaucracy involved put paid to it. They should offer similar incentives for using newer technologies like biomass etc.

Does anybody know people that use LPG in their car ?,

There was an intersting article in the SBP a while back outling one option i.e. buy a 2/3 yr old luxury petrol car and convert it to LPG. So you could be swanning around in a 4L Jag or lexus with the fuel economy of a 1.6 Mondeo. Sounds good if you like the thaught of a big car without the expensive thirst.

I was talking to the calor gas man filling the tank one day at Lidl in Birr, he says he has a dual fuel Renault Megane which he was pleased with.
There must be a few more people using it, where are you?.

patspost said:
So you could be swanning around in a 4L Jag ..

Funny but that was the one car I seriously gave some consideration to importing as an LPG car. To be honest though once you factor in insurance, tax etc the running costs were still worse than the 2 litre diesel car I eventually decided on.

Unless LPG comes down in cost here (i.e. with some kind of tax break) it's not going to be a realistic option.

Renault megane's gas really well just did mine myself a 98 1.6 took a couple of days to do used a secondhand system off a volvo 740 no major probs got to be careful when routing pipes but easy enough with a basic mechanical knowledge and tools. i have a 47 litre boot in the spare wheel well. what was allready a cheap car is now very very cheap paying 37p a litre in cardiff.

Back