Car no claims bonus

trustno1

Hi All.

Looking for some advice. My daughter (2 year old) put some coins in the CD slot in my car and as a result (electrical short circuit or something) has broken the Sat Nav, hands free phone, radio and CD player - it's all in one unit. The cost to fix according to the garage is €1350.

I have a protected no claims bonus with a €250 excess on a comprehensive policy. When I spoke to the insurance company they told me if I claim I will still retain my full no claims bonus but I will have to disclose the claim if I move Insurance company. My question is, what will be the impact on future renewals. Any advice gratefully received.

The insurer should tell you how it will affect your own policy. If you have a full NCB at present, then it will fall back to the level it is protected to, perhaps 20/30%.

If you stay with your current insurer, then you will regain the NCB as the years go by.

If you wish to leave your current insurer, then the new insurer may not recognise your 'protected' ncb and may quote at NIL, if in fact they will quote at all.

If you wish to leave your current insurer, then the new insurer may not recognise your 'protected' ncb and may quote at NIL, if in fact they will quote at all.

You can be certain that another insurance company will not recognise the protection offered by your current insurer. OP, you may end up paying back most or all of the cost over the next few years while you re-build a no claims history that other insurers will accept.

Back