Motor car insurance & learner driver

lipso

Hi can anyone advise - I am 52 with 10 years no claims bonus and with my wife as named driver - usually get car insurance for €300 or so
My daughter is learning to drive and would like to be a named driver also, she is 24 - my current insurer would not take her on
Anyone know the companies who would do this at a reasonable price?

As well as Aviva, Axa will quote for a young driver. The rates are also a lot more competitive than they used to be for naming young drivers. Ring a broker and they will be able to offer you a few quotes.

We are in this position now with an 18 year old learning to drive. Is the Aviva young driver scheme worth investigating? Cannot get a quote online but will contact the call centre in Galway tomorrow to check it out.

We are in this position now with an 18 year old learning to drive. Is the Aviva young driver scheme worth investigating? Cannot get a quote online but will contact the call centre in Galway tomorrow to check it out.

Im with AIG, and got a quite reasonable quote to put my 19 year old son on.. Aig were also by far the cheapest quote for me..

I would go with Aviva. My 19 year old did it and got 6 months free insurance. When the 6 months free insurance finished I rang Aviva for a quote to keep her on the insurance and a lovely lady told me if she does a Driving test with the Aviva driving school and passes she will get a better rate.

She did the driving test with a them and passed and got a quote of €650 As a named driver . I would highly recommend them.
Ps the parent has to be with Aviva also

Thanks chrisboy and reddanmn.
Re the Aviva insurance, was the €650 the cost for adding her as a named driver to an existing parental insurance policy?

Yes it was for 3 of us. One full driver and 2 named drivers I think it worked out at €900. Even if she did does the lessons only it is still worth it for the free 6 months insurance.
The cheapest quote I got at the time for her was €1100 and believe me I tried everyone.

Wow that's outrageous. Best of luck with Aviva and ask them about the Aviva test at the end Of the 6 months . Who knows they might pass the real test by then.
Aviva consider their test the same as the real test hence lower quote when they pass

As with all insurance quotes - get a quote from all companies - they rate differently. For my own quotes yesterday - single driver - full license, full NCB - I was getting quotes from Alliance for 344 fully comp with bonus protection to 1021 with one direct for the same options (three times the price).

Oh and never just take a renewal quote - always check every year!

Just yesterday I insured my 22 year old on her own car prov licence for €979 with Boxy. Involves installing a small device to the car but best quote by far!

Quote from Aviva for just under €300 for me (as policy holder) plus partner named on policy (he has his own policy on his own car). Son will be free for 6 months as long as he signs up for the Aviva lessons (10 lessons for €400 and 13 lessons for €499). After 6 months he will be added to my policy for just over €650 (as long as he has completed Module 3 of Aviva lessons, which is the highest level). So in total - for 12 months - it will cost €1,350, which does include 10 lessons!
Which is €2,000 cheaper than a quote I got yesterday!

Hi 44brendan can you give me the web address of Boxy I can't find anything on Google. Thanks

He had got a pack of 10 lessons as a Christmas present! So has had those last January/February. One of which involved driving through Donnybrook in lashing rain in rush hour traffic on a Friday evening. The instructor left him home and told him to apply for the test straight away, that he would pass it no problem. However, I am glad he will have 10 more lessons to improve technique and observation skills. One of his friends has done test twice and failed twice....

Have spent the guts of the last 3 days on the phone trying to sort this out...nightmare! At least I know what to expect when our daughter is at this stage in 3 years time!

lol I was lucky my daughters friend did the Aviva. But I didn't know About the test after the six months for renewal hence all the searching for quotes. I left Aviva until last thinking it would be sky high, I was pleasantly surprised. It is up again in July so fingers crossed I get the same deal

Just got my renewal on My Aviva car insurance Not the same deal as last year with young driver that has passed her module 3 training. It has jumped to €1900 from €950 last year . Has anyone any experience of BoxyMo.ie

Back