Car hit but now a change of mind by the other party

Mattym2015

Somebody hit the side of my car in a car park while my car was parked. At the time they accepted responsibility and gave me their name and number. Told me to get a quote on putting the paint right and let them know. When i did they they asked me to get another quote from someone they knew which i did. When i let them know they said they were going to go through their insurance instead and would send me on the details i needed. Their story has now changed saying that i should have rang the guards at the time and they they didn't see any damage so not willing to pay or give me insurance details. Do i take this as an expensive lesson learned or does the fact that i have a photo of the damage done and also a text claiming responsibility stand for anything 2 weeks on? Sorry about the long winded message!!!

It's always best to ring the guards after an incident like this. Unfortunately it's common for people to decide afterwards they aren't going to pay up.
However, the fact you have a text from the guilty party claiming responsibility I would contact your local Garda station & see if they can pursue this. They will advise you what the best route to take is.

You are entitled to see their Insurance by law. If you contact the Gardai you may have to make a statement alleging dangerous/careless driving in order to get the Gardai involved at this stage and for them to demand the other party's insurance particulars. You might bring your own Ins and D/L with you when calling to the Garda Station as they will most likely ask you for it. Any witnesses?. Notify your own Ins Co even though you are right. Short message to other party that you are now involving the Gardai. When you get the Ins details of other party from the Gardai make a claim with them.

Thanks for the replys guys. There was a witness but it was a family friend so I dont know if that would be any help. Anyway the person has admitted to being there. I dont have any photos of their car or the address but I know the area so can be easily gotten. Popping into the guards this morning...

It seems to me that you have an admission by text from the other party ( from a number that presumably can be connected to the other party) and a photo of the damage, and a witness, albeit connected to you. Seems like a strong enough case to pursue it. Why not text saying you are going to Gardai with text to make a statement, but b4 u do, would he like to reconsider?

To be honest I feel like my good nature has been taken advantage of so when the person changed their mind I told them that I would not be in touch again but someone else would. I don't think they deserve a second chance to possibly mess me around again. I contacted both the gardai and my insurance today so the ball is rolling. I'll let you know the outcome.

Would the Gardai have been interested in an incident like this? A small amount of paint damage to a stationary car with no one injured? I doubt that they would have come out.

Brendan

It's useful to report it though - A Garda once told me to "call it in" as that can be referred to if it escalates.

This happened me last year, I went to the guards and explained that they changed their mind about compensating me, the guards rang them on my behalf and asked them to provide the name of their insurance company. Once I had their insurance provider I rang their insurer and explained the situation, I didn't even have their policy no., only their number plate. I gave the relevant number plate details and a summary of what happened over the phone and I was then asked to provide a estimate to the insurance company directly. The insurance company paid me directly with no further contact from the 3rd party.

OP's situation is a typical scenario.

OP is fully entitled to process a claim against the other driver's motor insurers.

Back