Capital Gains Tax

backfromoz

Myself and my husband bought an apartment in 1998 which we lived in for 3 years. We then migrated to Australia in 2001. From 2001-2003 the property was not rented. It has been rented for the last 3 years ( so 3/8 years we received a rental income). We have just moved back from Australia and are renting ourselves. We plan sell the apartment and buy a house in a years time.
Are we liable for CGT on
a)the full amount or
b)for the porportion of time it was rented out?
c)The porportion of time we havent lived in it?

I am assuming that your are tax resident in Ireland and subject to Irish CGT. As far as I know you are liable for CGT on 50% of any gain in respect of 4 of the 5 years that it was not your PPR (the first year following vacation of your PPR is exempt) even though it was only rented out for three of the four years.

We just got back this week so are not resident for tax purposes this financial year.However it is unlikely we will sell until the next tax year.Would this make much of a difference?

Revenue guide CGT1 outlines the tax treatment of people with different residency/domicile status. I suspect that you should probably get independent, professional advice about this especially to optimise your tax planning.

Back