Cape Verde

Re: Investment in Cape Verde Islands

I hear newstalk 106 now running ads for Cape Verde.

I know there was the funny business with Eddie Hobbs and family, but have they looked into the regional problems, which seem to be accelerating as oil becomes more problematic to get.

Outside of it's territorial waters there are some disputed oilfields, and some of the big hitters in West Africa are angling for a slice. The growing instability in the region (from Nigeria to Eq. Guinea to Senegal) have meant that there have been continual and recent instances of refugees landing on the islands having come in by boat. Okay, so it happens in the Canaries too, but in Cape Verde it has not been given the same coverage yet.

Cape Verde on TV
"A Place in the Sun " Weds 8th of Feb 8pm on More4+1
(Sky tv channel 286) is, according to Januarys Sky Guide, featuring the Cape Verde Islands. It is a repeat of Last years episode. May be worth a look.
Just found these editing tools like colour and highlighting ,"aint they cool" Carlos

Carlos said:
Cape Verde on TV
"A Place in the Sun " Weds 8th of Feb 8pm on More4+1
(Sky tv channel 286) is, according to Januarys Sky Guide, featuring the Cape Verde Islands. It is a repeat of Last years episode. May be worth a look.
Just found these editing tools like colour and highlighting ,"aint they cool" Carlos

7pm on More 4 ;)

i've no doubt you'll be watching it twice Carlos!

For anyone interested in the environmental problems facing Cape Verde;

And to put it in perspective have a read of Jared Diamond's excellent new book 'Collapse';
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670033375/102-5122467-2076162?v=glance&n=283155 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670033375/102-5122467-2076162?v=glance&n=283155)

Dec 2005 On a visit to Luxemburg France and Netherlands on 13/12/05 the President of Cape Verde has now recieved backing from Lux and France to propose CV for inclusion into the Eu group, talks to begin mid 2006. The President said "after our elections in early 2006 CV hopes to enter these talks with a view to eventually getting full membership of the EU"
Looks like its starting to happen. The EU Commission has formally written to CV government to enter into talks in having a "special relationship" similar to the other island groups that lie in the Atlantic off Africa.
It doesnt mean full inclusion yet, but allows for a major shift for CV as they have already opted out of its combined trade agreements it had with EU while being part of the West African Alliance. They now have the ear of the commission as does Madeira, Azores and Canarys

Has anyone invested in CV? I am thinking of investing (with some friends). We are looking to raise c €100k by spring 2008, and are wondering which country offers best growth/rental return investment over 5-7 yr time frame.
Other countries on the list are brazil, portugal, and lithuania.
Cape verde seems to be the best country in its infancy though-and seems to have big potential.
Some thoughts/ideas would maybe help in our decision making.

Re: cape verde/other country to invest

for the record- what's the average rate on an interest-only mortgage in Cape verde, and whats the max no. of years that they offer?
we need to collate all info b4 deciding on a country!

Sarah,

Coudl you post or PM me with details of raising a mortgage in CV?

Thanks.

Me neither. Site seems broken:
Code:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]error '80004005'[/SIZE][/FONT] 
 [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.[/SIZE][/FONT] 
 [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]/include/start.inc[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2], line 34[/SIZE][/FONT]

Working again. I guess the ho sorted it. Fair play to her.

Has anyone invested in CV? I am thinking of investing (with some friends). We are looking to raise c €100k by spring 2008, and are wondering which country offers best growth/rental return investment over 5-7 yr time frame.
Other countries on the list are brazil, portugal, and lithuania.
Cape verde seems to be the best country in its infancy though-and seems to have big potential.
Some thoughts/ideas would maybe help in our decision making.

If you are an investor you will no doubt have looked into net rental yields achievable in the Cape Verde market. If you have you will be aware of transaction costs, taxation, management, maintenance costs, rental values and and probable occupancy percentages. You will also have taken a view on the impact of new build supply on the fundamentals of your investment, you will be familiar with immediate and mid term investor targeted developments, Cape Verde strategic planning policy etc.

Sarah W.

Not quite clear but are you an Irish representative for Conti of mortgagesoverseas?

Thanks.

Back