Cape Verde

Re: Investment in Cape Verde Islands

SPF said:
There are Portugese speakers in Ireland, and lots of people speak English in Cape Verde. I know this to be a fact, as unlike a lot of people who post on this thread, I have been to Cape Verde, and I do own property there.

SPF

GO to CV yourself -
To say there are NO English speakers over there !!
what a statment !

Carlos said:
On a visit to Luxemburg France and Netherlands on 13/12/05 the President of Cape Verde has now recieved backing from Lux and France to propose CV for inclusion into the Eu group, talks to begin mid 2006. The President said "after our elections in early 2006 CV hopes to enter these talks with a view to eventually getting full membership of the EU"

The EU is expanding into Africa now? Surely this takes enlargement to a completely different dimension?

Well the EU is [broken link removed] in South America! :D

If this place is such a no brainer to invest in then why is there such a mass media marketing campaign in trying to sell this place. If its such a no brainer, should all the people who are so clearly in the know just buy them all themselves and make their millions that way? Why does there have to be so much hype??

Why was this not the place to buy in 3 months ago when Sunny Beach in Bulgaria was the big thing, which is now held in contempt as a location to buy in?

What will be the next best place ever to invest in 2 months time?

The next big thing seems to be changing every couple of weeks at the moment, its becoming tiresome.

This seems to be the point Ronin. what is the Eu? Geographically Turkey is in Asia, Israel and Kurdistan Play football in Uefas Groups, Russians and associate countrys play in Champions league. Cyprus is 6 hours flight from London, its near neighbours are Lebennon, Syria. Beliefs dont, and shouldnt, be a factor. What criteria does an applicant to EU need to fulfill?

Whatever about those trivialities, what about the most important "European" institution - the Eurovision Song Contest!? :D

mollser said:
Why was this not the place to buy in 3 months ago when Sunny Beach in Bulgaria was the big thing, which is now held in contempt as a location to buy in?

What will be the next best place ever to invest in 2 months time?

The next big thing seems to be changing every couple of weeks at the moment, its becoming tiresome.

Why is sunny beach Bulgaria now held in contempt to invest in?

Carlos said:
This seems to be the point Ronin. what is the Eu? Geographically Turkey is in Asia, Israel and Kurdistan Play football in Uefas Groups, Russians and associate countrys play in Champions league. Cyprus is 6 hours flight from London, its near neighbours are Lebennon, Syria. Beliefs dont, and shouldnt, be a factor. What criteria does an applicant to EU need to fulfill?

The name is Ronan, thanks.

Turkey is right beside Europe, and though I don't agree with Turkey being allowed into the EU, given it's geographical location right beside Europe, I can see the potential benefits as a bridging entity between Europe and the Middle East/Asia.

As for your example of and football groupings and associations, they're not important and are meaningless, especially the football excuse - as it's only a moneymaking pursuit.

Bringing Cape Verde into the EU, while it could probably meet "enlargement criteria" would be a farce of the highest order, and would be the same as our own Irish passport scams - it would be a way of making money for the Europeans by taking advantage of a tiny 3rd world country.

badabing said:
Why is sunny beach Bulgaria now held in contempt to invest in?

Contempt may be a bit strong, but talking to property agents who push foreign property, about 6 months ago Sunny Beach was being pushed very strongly, but now, only 6 months later, those same agents are now coming out with, ooh, thats going to be too overdeveloped, not good value, very risky, here, why don't you look at Cape Verde? Or the other flavour of the month, Bodrum in Turkey

Other than it being built on a volcano in the middle of the Atlantic somewhere, with no fresh water, no regular flights and a quarter of the population unemployed, I don't see why you're all being so negative about the place.

Sorry Ronan, My post was actually a Question? I am not making any judgments i am just relaying facts.
Before Turkey enters EU on "being beside Europe" Should the countrys actually closer to europe (Albania ,Moldova, Belarus, and Russia, not be allowed to Join first.
Seems the same arguments raged in the 70s when UK and Ireland wanted entry to EEC . France said we were not strictly "Europe"
hmmm, That was Canaries 30 years ago. But in 2005, Still on a volcano and using desalanated water, the thousands of holidayers that visit dont mind.

As previously stated i am looking into an apartment for my own personal use and am not intentionally promoting any development or destination. but i just recieved this mail .
Reported in English press 19/12/05
"Weekly Flights from Birmingham UK to Sal CV. Contracts Signed Today by President of TACV, starting April 2006"!

Carlos said:
As previously stated i am looking into an apartment for my own personal use and am not intentionally promoting any development or destination. but i just recieved this mail .
Reported in English press 19/12/05
"Weekly Flights from Birmingham UK to Sal CV. Contracts Signed Today by President of TACV, starting April 2006"!
Flight routes can be dropped just as easily. Availability of convenient flights to a particular destination is not, in itself, necessarily good basis for deciding to buy/invest in that destination.

Carlos,

I think you are fighting a losing battle here. Almost everyone who posts on this thread is vehemently against investing in Cape Verde.

Indeed, looking at some of the previous posts of those who have contributed to this thread, it looks like some are against any investment in any overseas property. Indeed, one poster has even decided against purchasing an apartment/house as a home here in Ireland. That says a lot to me about the quality of the information and analysis behind some of the postings on this thread.

SPF

SPF said:
Carlos,

I think you are fighting a losing battle here. Almost everyone who posts on this thread is vehemently against investing in Cape Verde.

Indeed, looking at some of the previous posts of those who have contributed to this thread, it looks like some are against any investment in any overseas property. Indeed, one poster has even decided against purchasing an apartment/house as a home here in Ireland. That says a lot to me about the quality of the information and analysis behind some of the postings on this thread.

SPF
HI SPF - Would you care to post a financial analysis which supports an investment in Cape Verde?

Here is an outline involving one property. Some of us have to do some work today J

Purchase costs
-------------
Cost of purchase 88,000
Legal Costs* 7,000
- ------

Maintenance costs
-----------------

Condominium charges and insurance 700
Accountant 250

Income
----------

One year rental agreement with a local hotel: 9,000. This was negotiated separately by me.

Income tax on Cape Verde income (less deductions for charges, maintenance, accountant’s fees etc) at 20%. Due to my personal circumstances, Irish income tax: nil.

*Legal costs. I used a firm of lawyers in the UK to ensure I got proper title. Legal costs are much lower if you are prepared to risk using local lawyers.

Although the rental agreement is only for one year, we all take our chances. Indeed the government may change and be less friendly to foreigners, a currency risk also exists, in addition, the apartment complex may fall into the sea. Anything can happen.

However, given the millions of euro that are being pumped into Santa Maria by major hotel and travel chains, and the fact that the islands have direct flights from Italy, France, Holland, Portugal and the US, as far I am concerned it is worth a punt.

Whether it is worth a punt to you is your decision.

Quite right Spf each to there own. Myself i wish to use my possible apt purchase for 3/4 months of the winter for peaceful r&r. rental may be available to me ,i dont mind though. Best of luck with yours. Maybe See you in CV 2006/07. Adeus Carlos

Check out "Cabo Verde 24" Spf and view Santa Maria Beach on Web cam. 24c and Sunny ,
Beats M50 with view of toll booths anyday; Carlos

Back