Cape Verde

Re: Investment in Cape Verde Islands

Carlos - For someone who appeared to know very little about Cape Verde in their first post on AAM, and requested as much information as possible here -

Carlos said:
When is this presentation i would like to attend. If not post as much info as poss please Carlos

You seem to have a very indepth knowledge of Cape Verde in your most recent two posts only a couple of weeks later.

Carlos said:
Dublin 123456 ,
To suggest that the unemployed will turn to crime is a "lazy stereotype." But to put your figures in context, 88000 is approx the total prison population of the UK, excluding N Ireland. Tourism to CV over recent years has been from Italy, Netherlands, and Portugul/Spain.
Cape Verdians are well aware of their future tourist attraction to europe. Migration to USA and Canada over the years has allowed for reinvestment and highly educated ex-citizen to return Home. Regular Flights from Boston and even Rio are available, as are scheduled flights from Portugal, France,and Italy among others.
Sadly no flights From UK yet

Carlos said:
Flight and hotel bb and dinner 749euro.CV escudo fixed/linked to euro (portugesse escudo before that). Portugal and Spain support CV for membership of Eu , like New Caladonia, Cueta/Melilla in Morroco or French Antilles which are already in the "euro group", or at least Special EU Status like its neighbours the Canaries, Azorres and Maderia which all belong to the same Macaronesia group of Islands. CV government have strict development/density laws and title laws.

Should I be congratulating on doing a very thorough research? Or should I be suspicious that you're actually logged on here to only and specifically try to generate interest amongst the users of AAM in Cape Verde property?

etel said:
There are no flights to Cape Verde from Ireland , unlike all the countries Eddie dissed on Tubridy. There are virtually no Portugese speakers in Ireland or English speakers in Cabo Verde.

It is an insane place to spend €120k most especially if the Cork Mafia sez otherwise :p

There are Portugese speakers in Ireland, and lots of people speak English in Cape Verde. I know this to be a fact, as unlike a lot of people who post on this thread, I have been to Cape Verde, and I do own property there.

SPF said:
There are Portugese speakers in Ireland, and lots of people speak English in Cape Verde. I know this to be a fact, as unlike a lot of people who post on this thread, I have been to Cape Verde, and I do own property there.

Are you also selling the property advertised here by Carlos as well SPF?

4 posts ever on AAM and all 4 of those telling us the benefits of a couple of islands in the middle of the south Atlantic?

ronan_d_john said:
Are you also selling the property advertised here by Carlos as well SPF?

4 posts ever on AAM and all 4 of those telling us the benefits of a couple of islands in the middle of the south Atlantic?

Ronan,

I am not selling anything in Cape Verde, or anywhere else that I own property.

My post on 24/11 was genuine. I have no intrests in property devl/sales here or abroad. I contacted the devl in question and was unable to attend promo. I have sinced trawled the net, read many articles and also posted on other related sites. I am interested in buying a 2 bed in CV and will be out there in Jan. If you noticed my post of 8 of Dec i asked specific questions to SPF. I apologise for not posting my recent findings on CV here.
I really wanted to hear any independent point of view good or bad. My facts are all on the net, but some sites can be a bit biased and i did not mean to mislead anyone. I never said like Mr Hobbs CV was a good buy, i really dont know, I just wanted to put a few things straight. By the way i accept your congratulations on my research and if i can answer any questions i will try Carlos

ronan_d_john said:

In fairness Ronan it's in the North Atlantic (just) ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=16.75N+23W&ll=31.952162,-11.074219&spn=60.195387,144.281250&hl=en

However now that you mention the south atlantic surely it can't be too long before someone pops up boosting property investment in the Falklands :) ..

or Tristan de Cunha maybe (http://www.tristandc.com/) unspoilt with fabulous transport links - a ship calls 6 times a year !

Ronin, just to even up my previous posts, as there are two sides to each disscussion.
Flight time to CV 6 hours. Islands are still active volcanos, only 75mm of annual rain, eg drought area.Most items have to be imports (possible high prices). During sand storms aircraft cant fly.Beaches can have stong currents (windsurfing great ,kids swimming maybe not), private health care necessary no EU cover yet, entry visa 45 euro.
But hey, each to there own.
no where is perfect, even west Dublin where i reside now. Carlos

I have to admit to having quite a few chuckles at this thread and some of the posts. I think Jeremiah is ill-advised and doesn't know a lot about property investing by the sound of things - no offence.

Apropos not a lot I bought a 2 bedroomed apartment in the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language end of Dublin City Centre (Benburb St) in 1993. Area was up and coming and to some extent still is!! I paid £56k then.

How can you justify paying €100-120k for a 2 bed place in a third world country that has no indigenous industry or water for that matter............Kerazzzzy

I don't think comparing an inner citt flat with a sea front apartment in CV is very smart. They are a completely different market. There are a lot of people that have bought really crap property in Ireland over the years that ended up making money because everywhere was going up in price.

On a visit to Luxemburg France and Netherlands on 13/12/05 the President of Cape Verde has now recieved backing from Lux and France to propose CV for inclusion into the Eu group, talks to begin mid 2006. The President said "after our elections in early 2006 CV hopes to enter these talks with a view to eventually getting full membership of the EU"

What's all the fuss about Cape Verde, its just another holiday destination? Today its mentioned again on the Indo, front page!

I still don't get why people are working themselves up over Eddie being a financial advisor, I mean its not a state secret. Whatever is driving this free publicity whether its commercial envy or good old fashioned and reliable Irish begrudgery, Hobbs must be laughing all the way to his website volumns! Fair dues.

I have to say, its looks like a good investment to me if you wanted to get into overseas property. You would have to wonder though, with such a global property bubble, the effect a stall would have on all these emerging market estate values. After all, it would appear that those that are investing in these places are the froth of property booms in other markets.

Chamar, I think you may be right. I visited www.eddiehobbs.com and while CP is listed there are a number of warnings about being over-borrowed and that property can fall in value. The Indo story seems to lack much substance me thinks.

I see that Eddie has a possible conflict of interest according to the IRISH INDO.
The info is out there so each person should research their destination choice themselves.

Jeremiah said:
Dear All
I am thinking about investing in a property off plan in the Cape Verde Islands. It appears that development is at an early stage on the islands and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this area. The property is a 2 bed beachfront apt for €100k.

Any advice or feedback appreciated

Jerimiah

depends on what Island you have chosen !
Sal is the most popular now and is getting a lot of investment right now ! I believe it is at the most advanced stage ! and has modern hotels and fantastic beeches. I purchased 5 apartments 10 months ago and they have appreciated by approx 35%. Like all property investments best thing is to get over there and do the leg work yourself ! (when your there
go to Boa Vista and ask for Leonard the quad man to take you for a 1/2 day quad biking in the dunes - first class!). Mail me at [email protected] and i'll email you some digital photos from my trips)

Jerimiah

depends on what Island you have chosen !
Sal is the most popular now and is getting a lot of investment right now ! I believe it is at the most advanced stage ! and has modern hotels and fantastic beeches. I purchased 5 apartments 10 months ago and they have appreciated by approx 35%. Like all property investments best thing is to get over there and do the leg work yourself ! (when your there
go to Boa Vista and ask for Leonard the quad man to take you for a 1/2 day quad biking in the dunes - first class!). Mail me at [email protected] and i'll email you some digital photos from my trips)

People

re travel to CV
Ron in CV travel in the UK can organise trips -
Cape Verde airlines have regular flights from Paris Amsterdam and Lisbon
TAp - Air Portugal go from Lisbon also
You can also pick up a CV airlines flight from Gran Canaria on a Thursday morning ! ( 1 hour flight)
The biggest group of Europeans there are the Italians -
Lots of flights from Milan on CV airlines and also local charter
operators !
Right now in SAL Rui/Thompson have just finished a large Lux
development and its in their winter brochure !
so charters should be available soon -

This place really is canaries in the 70's - and yes H2O is a problem
but H2O was a problem in Cyprus 10 years ago and they sorted it with desalination plants - massive company called CaboCan from the Canaries is over there putting in all the infrastructure !
Last point its fantastic value for eating out - but some of the Islands
SanTiago for example is very African and won't suit everyones taste
Boa Vista s another place developers are touting but
but its a very long way behind Sal - but then Club Med are building
an exclusive all-in resort there - so its down to an individuals opinion
and of course their own leg work. On sal for example you have the
resort area with the hotels and then the resedential area
- the resort area is where some irish developers are building
but the resendential area is walking distance to Santa Maria town.
The four Italian developers there have all the best plots on the resedential side beechfront

Back