Cape Verde

Re: Investment in Cape Verde Islands

delgirl said:
Could I be the only AAMer to have set foot on Cape Verde soil? :)

You've certainly got me there ... I'd imagine you're probably one of the few alright... I've seen them out the window of a plane .. but never been there !

Sal (the main airport in Cape Verde) is just under 1500km south west of Las Palmas .. that's an extra 1h30 - 1h40 flight time .... making it into a 6 hour trip from London (if a non-stop exists in the future which it doesn't now)

Whatever about getting flights from London which may happen in the future I would be most surprised if flights ever ran from Ireland.

It's quite true that desalination plants could solve some of the water problems - but they are expensive (and I think use a lot of energy which might make it ever more expensive) .. perhaps someone will suggest to the Cape Verde government that these desalination plants could be funded by a tax on property investors ;)

At least they have [broken link removed]:
Repeated droughts during the second half of the 20th century caused significant hardship and prompted heavy emigration. As a result, Cape Verde's expatriate population is greater than its domestic one
So the locals are getting out and the property speculators are trying to get in...

Checkout "Holiday 2006" on BBC1 at 7pm tonight (Monday).
They're covering Italy, Canada & Cape Verde.

Inspection flight to Cape Verde, 23rd Jan Dublin to Sal. Slattery Travel Cork.They hope for weekly flights from summer 2007.

I see that some people are looking for information about investing in property in Cape Verde.

I bought a one bedroom duplex apartment in Santa Maria on the island of Sal last summer. It is due for completion in April of next year.

The cost of property on the islands is reasonable by Irish standards. The islands have a lot of potential, and the government is pushing tourism.

Anyone who wants information about the islands, please feel free to email me.

SPF said:
The cost of property on the islands is reasonable by Irish standards.
What has the cost of property in Ireland got to do with the cost of property on some island in the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language end of nowhere? This whole thread astounds me. Name me a single country which isn't pushing tourism?

Hi SPF What exactly is reasonable for a one bed in C V. Have you been out there many times.Do you have a rental agreement for future income.Does the lack of a double taxation agreement worry you. Many Thanks C

I have been to Cape Verde four times in the past three years. I have visited Sal, Santiago, and Boa Vista.

A one bedroom apartment can be bought in Santa Maria in Sal for 50k Euro. A studio can be bought for about 30k.

The apartment I purchased is 150 meters from the beach, and I have a rental agreement with a hotel that will give me an 8% net yield for the next two years.

No, I am not worried about the lack of a double taxation agreement between Ireland and Cape Verde. I don't plan to sell the place for at least ten years, at which point an agreement may be in place.

As regards taxation of income, the lack of a double taxation agreement means that between the two countries I will pay about 50% income tax on rents, about the same as I pay on the non-mortgaged Irish properties that I have rented.

Thanks SPF very helpful info. In your opinion are Paradise Beach 4 * villas and aparts expensive. at 120k for a two bed 90sq metre in there own complex developed by capeverdedevelopments.com

They are OK value, especially if you can wrangle a good rental guarantee.

I saw their site a few months ago. It is beside a nice beach. However, before you commit, I suggest that you go out to Sal and see for yourself.

Cape Verde | Country Overview

Travel
Terrorism
Security
Political

Risk Ratings
Risk Summary

Political risk
Cape Verde has a history of political stability. The Party for the Independence of Cape Verde (PAICV) remains the dominant political party following legislative elections in 2001 and presidential elections in 2002. National elections are not due until 2006. The main opposition Movement for Democracy (MPD) takes a confrontational approach to politics but an unconstitutional change in power remains unlikely.

Security risk
Security risks are low and crime is the main threat to business. There is no recent known history of terrorism.

Terrorism Risk Summary
Cape Verde has no recent history of terrorism and there are no local terrorist groups. The risk of transnational extremist groups targeting foreign interests is insignificant.

Travel risk
Petty crime and inadequate health facilities pose the main risks for travellers. Travel by sea southwards to the islands of Fogo and Brava can be disrupted by harsh conditions. Roads are generally in good condition.

Did anyone see Eddie Hobbs flogging Cape Verde on Tubridy Tonight on Saturday night??? And yes, my life is that exciting :D

Anyway, he did a hatchet job on every other location that Irish people are buying property in at the moment (Hungary, Turkey, Greece, the Canaries wherever), all as part of what appeared to be a rant about people wasting money buying property abroad without knowing anything about the locations they were going.

Yet, in almost the same breath, in plugging his own website, he mentioned that there was loads of more information on the lovely place that is Cape Verde (I'm paraphrasing).

I found this quite disturbing, that he would, and was allowed to, blatantly plug something like this on RTE. The fact that you could visit his site for tips on how to complain if you've a consumer complaint, and buy foreign property, doesn't sit well with me. Too confusing a message for most consumers.

He's obviously making some money out of this because he's promoting an Irish developer based in Kinsale. Eddie Hobbs is in it for the money the same as anyone else.

I agree with views on Eddie Hobbs. He has been plugging Cape Verde for about 6 months now and the fact that he's from Cork allied to the main promoter being from Cork makes me very suspicious of his views on everywhere else.

There are no flights to Cape Verde from Ireland , unlike all the countries Eddie dissed on Tubridy. There are virtually no Portugese speakers in Ireland or English speakers in Cabo Verde.

It is an insane place to spend €120k most especially if the Cork Mafia sez otherwise :p

Monthly flights start 23rd Jan. Weekly start summer 2006. Slattery Travel 066-7186230

How much is a flight ? The currency is Cape Verdean escudo, not really sure about stability ?
Unemployment rate is 21 % which equates to 88,000 people out of 418,224
I'd also say the crime rate will dramatically increase with the flood of Irish and English - the Cape Verdeans won't know what hit them. Could become over developed and overrun with English, German and (Cork people joke).
Very risky to say the least.

THe resourcefulness of property developers in sniffing out low cost locations to develop "dream holiday destinations" is hilarious. What next? Elba for the hols or the Pitcairn Islands? I say watch out for Albania in years to come.

Slim

Flight and hotel bb and dinner 749euro.CV escudo fixed/linked to euro (portugesse escudo before that). Portugal and Spain support CV for membership of Eu , like New Caladonia, Cueta/Melilla in Morroco or French Antilles which are already in the "euro group", or at least Special EU Status like its neighbours the Canaries, Azorres and Maderia which all belong to the same Macaronesia group of Islands. CV government have strict development/density laws and title laws.

Dublin 123456 ,
To suggest that the unemployed will turn to crime is a "lazy stereotype." But to put your figures in context, 88000 is approx the total prison population of the UK, excluding N Ireland. Tourism to CV over recent years has been from Italy, Netherlands, and Portugul/Spain.
Cape Verdians are well aware of their future tourist attraction to europe. Migration to USA and Canada over the years has allowed for reinvestment and highly educated ex-citizen to return Home. Regular Flights from Boston and even Rio are available, as are scheduled flights from Portugal, France,and Italy among others.
Sadly no flights From UK yet

Back