Laya Cancelling policy within 14 day cool off - Laya claiming no record of my request

IrratePerson

I took out a Health Insurance policy over the phone with Laya I then cancelled it around 10-12 days into the term (just inside the 14 day notice period), again over the phone, as I was able to join a group scheme (also with Laya) with subsidy through my new employer quicker than anticipated at the end of the month.

I then noticed around a month afterwards that Laya had charged me on the policy I had cancelled within the cool off period (group scheme being via payroll) - after querying it with them they are now claiming they have no record of my cancellation request (lesson for the future: always always get things in writing) and refused to refund me the amount - basically insinuating that I was making things up/trying to pull a fast one.

Has anyone been in a similar situation as this and, if so, how did they resolve it? What is the disputes mechanism like?

I am going to submit a complaint (in writing!) and get my bank to refund the SEPA payment but not sure if there is something else I should do. Previously I have always had very good customer service with Laya so I found this very surprising. I am concerned this dispute will effect my cover under my group scheme which I am paying through payroll.

Last edited:
Would it be possible that they keep a record of telephone calls for "training purposes"?.

Presumably you didn't keep name of person you dealt with? Would you have a log on your phone of making 2nd call to them. Very poor customer service on their part when you have another policy with them and are part of a company group scheme. In days of old I dealt with a company group scheme and found VHI to be excellent to deal with where a designated rep looked after the scheme. Have you tried speaking to your company contact and ask Laya to see sense? Talk about shooting themselves in the foot as the bad publicity in your company alone won't do them any good.

If all else fails write to the CEO of AIG ;)

Surely as both are with Laya you can provide them with details of the second policy showing no disruption in cover and the joining of the group policy within the 14 days period. Common sense would suggest you transferred to another policy rather than cancelling anything and they have made a bureaucratic error?? I had a similar situation with a policy with Aviva and transferring to another policy at any point during the term was permitted without penalty (except the obvious changes in cover and waiting times for increased cover etc) But Aviva may have different terms and conditions than Laya

I may be incorrect here but isn't there an issue with having 2 policies and being over insured? I thought it wasn't possible to do that? will they allow you to claim for the same thing twice - once under each policy?

Last edited:
Back