Cancelled Flight , and now fears of a sluggish (if any ) refund.

nodo

Aer Lingus cancelled a 6 am flight to Pisa for my wife and self on Friday May 20th. Reason was a union disruption at Pisa airport. About 12 hours notice given to me.

Arrived at airport in good time , but told flight confirmed cancelled. Checked at Aer Lingus desk, no acceptable alternative offered me. Could have gone to Naples or Rome , both a considerable distance from where I wanted to go, and long delays possible, on trying onward travel by rail . Wife and I wanted to go to a wedding in Tuscany on the 21st.

Decided no point in travelling, so cancelled return journey, and applied for a refund of total fare paid. Initial email today " as you purchased a Saver fare and your flights continued to operate , you would not be entitled to cancel and claim a voucher "

Replied saying We were at Airport ready for travel , but flight cancelled by Aer Lingus. No reasonable alternative offered to get us to wedding in time , so return trip cancelled by us.

Awaiting further reply to this.

Will be grateful for any comments ( especially if similar has happened to any other AAM contributors. )

I have a copy of the EC 261/2004 regulations , which seems to be pretty much in my favor.

At present I intend to quote the EC regulations first, if this fails consult my Solicitor , and if all else fails try telling my tale of woe to Uncle Joe. !

In the meantime thanks to anyone who can offer me any advice. Nodo

Did you pay with Visa? Worth opening a chargeback and providing all info as outlined. Might force AL to pay attention.

Did you pay with Visa? Worth opening a chargeback and providing all info as outlined. Might force AL to pay attention.
Thanks mustang01. Paid with Visa Debit. Worth trying them for a charge back if I don't get a more satisfactory response from Ael Lingus.

Has to be an error.

Flight cancellation details can be found online so easy to send them a reference.

Unsure if EU 261 applies as the strike was out of control of the airline.

I think the excuse that itwas due to a strike only applies to compensation. All I want is a refund of the ticket price.
Anyway its with the Commissioner for Air Transport now
.I have seen firms advertising on Internet to take your case , even to court if necessary, but fees seem to be about 15% of the refund they obtain. nodo.

I think the excuse that itwas due to a strike only applies to compensation. All I want is a refund of the ticket price.
Anyway its with the Commissioner for Air Transport now
.I have seen firms advertising on Internet to take your case , even to court if necessary, but fees seem to be about 15% of the refund they obtain. nodo.

As a footnote , 3 family members who were supposed to be on the same flight have already got full ticket refunds.

( Obviously I am not as persuasive at filling out refund forms as my children. I will get them to do it if ever in a similar position again )

Back