Can you change the colour of a vehicle?

Pseudonym

Just wondering if anybody knows if you can change the colour of a vehicle, what costs are involved etc.

I have looked at a 4x4 and like everything about it, apart from the colour, which is green. I was thinking of getting it done in wine or black.

Regards,
P.

Hi ,

I take it its a second hand car...

If its second hand....any bodyshop / crash repair centre will respray your car in any colour you like!!

Do vehicle tax certs still mention the colour of the vehicle and, if so, do you have to get a replacement if you change the colour of the vehicle?

The Vehicle Licencing Certificate records the colour, as does the tax disc (the tax disc is probably based on the details on the VLC).

I presume that it can/should be changed. A call to Shannon should clarify.

Thanks for your replies, and I'll get onto the boys in Shannon, and will upate with their response.Yes its 2nd hand - '01 Nissan Terrano SWB (Passenger), its just that they are a rare comodity so I'd like to purchase.Thanks,P.

A friend of mine is getting an old Corvette sprayed at the moment. He's going for a very expensive paint so its costing about €2500 and is taking a few weeks but any little bodyshop could do it for a lot cheaper. You have to fill out a form to change the particulars on the car, you get it from your local tax office.
Good luck!

I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing with my 4x4. If you could update re: the tax cert and costs, that would be brilliant. thanks!

Thanks Carina,

I have just rang 2 Bodyshops (and not the Anita Roddick kind!) and they have both provisionally quoted "€2k and upwards". I did not have the vehicle with me at the time. However, if it is going to cost this much I may reconsider purchasing the vehicle

bb12,
I rang the VLC in Shannon and the message minder said that whilst the offices were open from 9.15 - 5.00, there is currently no phone service after 1pm! Also, the reason the re-spray is so costly is mainly due to the labour intensive process, removing doors, handles and it can be quite awkward when spraying on the inside of doors.

Will keep ye posted anyway.

P.

Back