Can interest rate increases be backdated retrospectively?

Dok1741

For background My mortgage went into arrears after 2008, I tried to meet my obligations and always paid what I could. The mortgage was first active, then ulster bank and now Promontoria Oyster.
I have been through a successful PIA and that ended January 2022.
I have just received a letter that my interest rate has increased in line with all ECB increases.
But due to a "technical error, correspondence that should have been issued to me wasn't".
My mortgage has increased and arrears added to the principle even though I've met all payments.
My interest rate has gone from what i thought was 2.4% this morning to 6.9%.
With all the increases added from July 2022.
Can an interest rate be backdated like this?
Any advice is very much appreciated.

1) Yes, they can charge you that rate today.

If you have a tracker mortgage of ECB + 2.4%, your rate today should be 6.9%

If it's not a tracker mortgage, they can charge you what they like.

2) I am not sure exactly what you say happened.

Are you saying that they forgot to increase the repayment or that they increased it and forgot to notify you?

Your mortgage agreement will contain a clause that they can increase the rate but must give you notice. As they have not given you notice, they should not have increased the rate.

They cannot increase it retrospectively.

If that is what happened, complain directly to them. But also cc. it to the Central Bank who will not respond to you but will investigate it as I would imagine it affects other customers as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Brendan,

Sorry for not being clearer,

They increased the payment and forgot to notify me.

I understand that they can increase the rate and have been expecting/waiting and then counting my blessings that they hadn't, for the last few years.

I would have (maybe) been able to switch to a different lender, but the rate was excellent and when it didn't increase I didn't try.

Thank you again for the reply, I will contact the lender on Monday.

The Consumer Protection Code now reads as follows as amended by the 2016 update (amendment in red)

6.6 A regulated entity must notify affected personal consumers on paper or on another durable medium of any change in the interest rate on a loan. This notification must include:
a) the date from which the new rate applies;
b) details of the old and new rate;
c) the revised repayment amount; and
d) an invitation for the personal consumer to contact the lender if he or she anticipates difficulties meeting the higher repayments.
“e) in the case of an increase in the interest rate on a mortgage with a variable interest rate, excluding a tracker interest rate:
i) the reason, by reference to the summary statement produced in accordance with Provision 4.28a, for the change in the interest rate;
ii) a summary of other mortgage products provided by the regulated entity that could provide savings for the personal consumer at that point in time;
iii) details of where the personal consumer can obtain further information on these mortgage products;
iv) a statement that the personal consumer should keep their mortgage arrangements under review as there may be other options that could provide savings for the personal consumer; and
v) a link to the relevant section on the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission’s website relating to switching lenders or changing mortgage type.”

In the case of a mortgage where a revised repayment arrangement has been put in place in accordance with the Code of Conduct for Mortgage Arrears, the notification must clearly indicate the revised repayment amount required in Part c) that applies to the revised repayment arrangement.

6.7 A regulated entity must provide the notification required under Provision 6.6 to a personal consumer at least 30 days in advance of any change in the interest rate, except in the following circumstances:

a) in the case of a tracker interest rate, the regulated entity must provide the notification required under Provision 6.6 as soon as possible, and no later than 10 business days after the regulated entity becomes aware of a change in the underlying rate being tracked; or
b) for loans other than mortgage loans, where the following conditions are satisfied, the regulated entity does not need to provide the notification required under Provision 6.6:
i) the change in the interest rate is caused by a change in a reference rate which changes on a daily or weekly basis;
ii) the new reference rate is made publicly available by appropriate means; and
iii) information concerning the new reference rate is kept available on the premises of the regulated entity.

So they are in clear breach of the Consumer Protection Code.

They are not allowed to increase your interest rate without giving you 30 days' notice.

So if they did increase it, they must reverse it.

Brendan

You can find the full code here

The Code was updated in 2016 to provide additional consumer protection for variable rate mortgage holders

That's a huge relief Brendan, thank you for taking the time.
This site has given me alot of excellent advice over the years.

Back