Can I be made redundant during 1 year contract

L

Laura83

I work for an organisation which may be laying people off due to cutbacks. My department is a target.

There are 3 other people in my department who are all full time, permanent employees and have all been here for a number of years.

I started with this company last June on a fixed contract for 1 year, what are my rights?

Due to my employment contract being different to my colleagues' does that leave me in a vulnerable position?

Can my contract be ended by my employer before the year is up?

If so, is the company obliged to pay me until the date I was supposed to leave?

I feel very scared. The reason I had to take this job in the first place is because I was made redundant from my last job last April. It is such a horrible situation to be in that I don't how to go through it again. I'm only just getting over the depression that came with that!

... what are my rights?

Due to my employment contract being different to my colleagues' does that leave me in a vulnerable position?

Can my contract be ended by my employer before the year is up? ... !
First off, what does your contract say?

... If so, is the company obliged to pay me until the date I was supposed to leave?
... !
Unlikely, but again what does your contract say?

Also see here - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c...rights-and-conditions/contracts-of-employment

Thank you for your reply mathepac.

I had a look at my contract and it doesn't seem to mention anything about redundancy or the company dismissing me due to cutbacks etc.

The contract includes information such as the date I commenced employement and the date I am due to end on this contract.

It includes the notice period that the company must give me and also the notice period I must give them.

The dismissal clause includes - gross misconduct, conflict of interest etc. but nothing about ending employment early if the company needs to make redundancies.

The rest of the contract covers renumeration, sick leave, pension, holidays, etc. etc.

Thank you!

... It includes the notice period that the company must give me and also the notice period I must give them. ...
So it sounds like all they have to do to end the contract is give you appropriate notice as per your contract (or payment in lieu of notice) and pay for any holidays accrued. IMO there will be no question of redundancy pay.

Back