Campsites on the beach *and* near Dublin ?

zag

Has anyone been to North Beach campground in Rush ?

All the kids want is to be beside the beach, and this seems to fit the bill without involving a drive across the country, but I haven't come across anyone who has stayed there before and their website doesn't have any photos ?

Alternatively, are there any good beachside campgrounds on the East coast that people can recommend ?

Cheers,

z

If you choose Rush zag, you might want to stay out of the water, the general cleanliness of the beach is not that good imho. The North beach is worse than the south one, but you need to go quite a way up the beach get away from the litter and bottles. Portrane which is on the opposite side of the Rogertown estuary lost its Blue flag status this year.

Do check out Donabate campsite, not sure if they have a website, but the beach and dunes there are lovely. Loads of exploration for the kids etc.

Portrane has a big caravan park near the martello, bear in mind that only skerries (?) still has a blue flag of all the beaches north of dublin. The site may well accommodate tents also.

"skerries (?) still has a blue flag of all the beaches north of dublin"

Dollymount, Malahide and Donabate also received [broken link removed] yesterday.

I stand corrected, thanks SE.

But Dollymount??? Jeebers. I guess used jonnies don't count against the rating then.

I was just thinking about that when I heard that Dollymount received a Blue Flag again. I remember swimming there a few years ago when it ostensibly passed all the relevant water quality tests and so on (not sure if it had a Blue Flag at the time) but it was still absolutely disgusting. I suppose that the new sewage treatment plant at Poolbeg must help to improve matters though. No more brown trouts while swimming hopefully.

Back