Calculating years worked to add to pension

Broadcaster

I am trying to work out my years relevant for pension purposes and wonder if anyone can help with this query.

As I have worked on a job share basis for the last 15 years(almost) my total amount of years for pension purposes works out at approx 7.5years. However my query is this. Remembering that I job share, can I take into account the days I was paid for e.g. Bank holidays when I am not due in work. In other words my job share partner who was due to work, gets the day off and because I am off and don't benefit, then instead I get paid for that day. Same happens for her when I am due to work.

I know I can take into account any days I have worked over the years in lieu of payment so it would make sense (I think) that receiving a day's pay would also have to count as working day.
I would really appreciate another view on this.

I am trying to work out my years relevant for pension purposes and wonder if anyone can help with this query.

As I have worked on a job share basis for the last 15 years(almost) my total amount of years for pension purposes works out at approx 7.5years. However my query is this. Remembering that I job share, can I take into account the days I was paid for e.g. Bank holidays when I am not due in work. In other words my job share partner who was due to work, gets the day off and because I am off and don't benefit, then instead I get paid for that day. Same happens for her when I am due to work.

I know I can take into account any days I have worked over the years in lieu of payment so it would make sense (I think) that receiving a day's pay would also have to count as working day.
I would really appreciate another view on this.

You can get exact details of pension from the Dept of Social Welfare (or whatever it's called now).

You can get exact details of pension from the Dept of Social Welfare (or whatever it's called now).
Thanks for your reply Eithneangela.
Unfortunately that does not appear to be the case. Pension section of the department refer me to our HR department who in turn don't know what the position is!!!! Been going around in rings for months without any clarification.
My reasoning is that if I am paid for the bank holidays (not worked) and if this payment is taken into account when calculating my pension deductions from my salary, then that counts as time worked and should be included in overall years for pension purposes. Does that make sense?

I don't believe you can. To explain, you work 5 days this week. Next Mon is a bank holiday, so your job share buddy doesn't have to work it. He/she gets a paid day off so you are compensated as you missed out but you both achieve 5 days pensionable service.

Sorry Slim, I think our post overlapped.

I suppose what I am trying to work out is this - if the bank holiday payment is taken into account when deducting the pension payment for that week, surely that has to count on some level down the line.no?

Pension statements from DSP only refer to State pensions. The OP appears to be discussing their employer or public service pension, which has nothing to do with the State Pension.

I think that the OP is not talking about the Contributory Old age pension as this is based in the number of weeks that you work rather than the number of years.

It's irrelevant that she is working a 3 day week as a contribution is a contribution.

I'd imagine that the question is number of years / 40 to compute a department pension.

I'd have thought that the entitlement to bank holiday pay is part of annual entitlement and would not increase the number of days for pension purposes.

I think that the OP is not talking about the Contributory Old age pension as this is based in the number of weeks that you work rather than the number of years.

It's irrelevant that she is working a 3 day week as a contribution is a contribution.

I'd imagine that the question is number of years / 40 to compute a department pension.

I'd have thought that the entitlement to bank holiday pay is part of annual entitlement and would not increase the number of days for pension purposes.
Yes, Joe_90, you are correct. I am referring to a public service pension calculation in this case (not the state pension). It's quite confusing when trying to get details from our HR department whose staff have no training whatsoever in pension entitlements so I end up having to find the answer myself!! Thanks for the replies.

Hi Broadcaster. I understand what you are asking. I think the fact that you are paid a bonus or comp for bank holiday and that is superannuated does not add time to your service.

Hi Broadcaster. I understand what you are asking. I think the fact that you are paid a bonus or comp for bank holiday and that is superannuated does not add time to your service.
Yes, it would appear the you are right Slim. However, there are so many anomalies in relation to pensions that it is mind boggling. I've now discovered that because I have a public service pension entitlement that is integrated with the State Contributory Pension, the full amount of this (State) pension is deducted. In other words even through I don't have enough PRSI payments for a full State Contr. Pension, (only entitled to about €190) the full €233 is deducted. I really cannot understand how that can be considered fair in any way.

Yes, it would appear the you are right Slim. However, there are so many anomalies in relation to pensions that it is mind boggling. I've now discovered that because I have a public service pension entitlement that is integrated with the State Contributory Pension, the full amount of this (State) pension is deducted. In other words even through I don't have enough PRSI payments for a full State Contr. Pension, (only entitled to about €190) the full €233 is deducted. I really cannot understand how that can be considered fair in any way.
I believe that it is intended to ensure you receive a pension equivalent to your service. It should not disadvantage you in any way. The OAP is paid as part of your pension, not in addition to it. You should check with the HSE National Pensions Management Office as it is, as you say, very complicated.

Back