Buying - Solicitors in different counties

aisling o'b

Hi,

Obviously, I understand hundreds of property transactions go through on a weekly basis with solicitors acting on behalf of the purchaser and seller being physically located in different counties.

I am buying and keen there is minimum hassle. Is there any advantage in terms of ease/expediency to me instructing a solicitor located in the same county as the seller?

What is the ballpark figure for legal costs for conveyancing these days?

I'd certainly use a solicitor located in the same country as the property to ensure the person is very much familiar with the process and legislation around it.
If seller and/or buyer are in a different country than it might be easiest to get them travel at least once to do all the signatures where that solicitor is, but if that's very difficult than a local solicitor / commissioner of oath / or even embassy would be the place to get the paperwork signed.

Yes; true. Although, when I put the offer in the Estate Agent asked where my solicitor was located. When I said Dublin, I got a bit of a negative vibe. I wouldn't mind travelling to the solicitor if it made everything go smoother. But applying a bit of common sense, it doesn't matter. I need to visit my solicitor and they DX documents to each other as far as I know.

Back