Buying a Vat Qualifying Car from the UK

Pegasus2

Anyone with experience buying a vat qualifying car from the UK?

Was the Vat paid and reclaimed by your business from UK revenue or did you find a UK car exporter to export the car and reclaim the Vat on your behalf?

I'm looking at buying a Vat qualifying commercial and see there's good value buying and importing from the UK.

Even with customs duty and VRT? My understanding is you need to get the UK seller to sell the vehicle to you VAT free for export.
But you can reclaim the Vat back from the HMRC.

My query is how quick is the reclaim time? Also there are UK exporters who will reclaim on your behalf.

Customs duty and VRT on a commercial is minimal as far as I know.

Did they not limit the VAT reclaim process to dealers who resell the vehicles after import to the EU? I thought you had to buy from an export dealer who handled the reclaim for you or use a 3rd party who would buy the vehicle and reclaim on your behalf.

If the vehicle is designated as UK manufactured, duty will be 0%, otherwise 10% of the price you paid. The VRT rate is listed on the link above, and will be based on what Revenue decide the vehicle is worth here, and not what you pay for it. Anecdotal evidence would suggest they often assign a higher value than people expect, but there is an appeals process where if you can supply evidence of examples of the same model, spec, and condition being sold here for less than their valuation they might refund you some.

I know a couple of people who were looking at campers and they have now ruled out the UK as the duty along with VRT means there's little value to be had there anymore.

Did they not limit the VAT reclaim process to dealers who resell the vehicles after import to the EU? I thought you had to buy from an export dealer who handled the reclaim for you or use a 3rd party who would buy the vehicle and reclaim on your behalf.

If the vehicle is designated as UK manufactured, duty will be 0%, otherwise 10% of the price you paid. The VRT rate is listed on the link above, and will be based on what Revenue decide the vehicle is worth here, and not what you pay for it. Anecdotal evidence would suggest they often assign a higher value than people expect, but there is an appeals process where if you can supply evidence of examples of the same model, spec, and condition being sold here for less than their valuation they might refund you some.

I know a couple of people who were looking at campers and they have now ruled out the UK as the duty along with VRT means there's little value to be had there anymore.
I queried it with dealers in the UK and they will sell a car net of Vat if you're buying a Vat qualifying car, you have proof a company is buying the car and that the car will be exported.

Therefore the

I queried it with dealers in the UK and they will sell a car net of Vat if you're buying a Vat qualifying car, you have proof a company is buying the car and that the car will be exported.

Therefore the
If that's the case then you just have the 10% customs on the total price paid, and then the VRT calculated on whatever Revenue decide is the full retail of the vehicle here.

If that's the case then you just have the 10% customs on the total price paid, and then the VRT calculated on whatever Revenue decide is the full retail of the vehicle here.
0% Custom duty and VRT is 13.5% of OMSP
Vat at 23% s payable on importation but reclaimable if the car is bought through a ltd company

Back