Buying a new build, concerned by boundary wall location

cocoa123

Hi, I am in process of purchasing a new build house. The house is still under construction, but the boundary wall separating our house from neighboring house is already in place. Both my and neighboring sites are of triangle shape. As per the estate brochure plan and also the site layout plan on the planning application our site supposed to be wider than neighbor's site in 2.5m.
In fact it is not, more than that, it is narrower in 2.5m. We were planning to add side extension at some point in the future and went on this house for purpose. Now I do not know how to check if the boundary wall has been placed on the proper place. Asked the builder-manager today, he was not happy to when I was asking my questions. His answer was - we won't be moving walls, do not want clients moving on site taking measurements, that what you get and that's it. Now, I'm thinking, how could it be that planning application plans are not matching the ground? And who can explain how it works? Attaching the pic. where site-6 is expected to be wider that site-7.

tumblr_oa6ayb2meU1vxyjlqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oa6ayb2meU1vxyjlqo2_1280.jpg

If you are not allowed in by the developers to take measurements, where are you getting the blue line (actual wall location) from?

If something is not built in accordance with planning permission, you could have two issues:
1. Your bank might not approve your mortgage
2. You may have problems when you go to sell in the future.

Under the building control regulations, the builder will have to certify that what he has built is in accordance with the design (i.e. what's on the ground will have to reflect the site layout plan & other drawings as submitted to the planning authority).

looks like the "wrong location" would make # 7 entrance unusually small so everybody loses! I know that particular estate. You might want to take note of the height of the boundary walls with your rear neighbours... Have heard lots of giving out about that to the point the builder agreed to raise the wall height in one area for privacy..

Are these drawings just marketing material / brochure or actual plans that the builder is working off ??

We had an issue with something like this but it concerned a house built in 1948. It arose when the house was sold in 2009. It turned out that the map showing the boundary with the adjoining property did not match the actual physical position of the boundary wall. It was a bit of a nightmare to sort out. The house or rather the 2 semi-detached houses had not been built as shown on the plan, but had been rotated slightly by the builder when they were built as this was the esier option when laying out the walls and boundaries.

I suggest you get your solicitor on to thas ASAP

Have you paid any money yet ?
Have you signed any contracts?
Is this 2.5 m a deal breaker?
Is house value?

Be careful.

Back