Buying a house in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycole

Hi everyone,
I hope to be a first time buyer this coming year. The area of interest to me is Dublin North around the Whitehall, Santy area in particular. I had a couple of bids for some houses, and some I was told I was the highest bidder. However in both cases the vendor withdrew the House from the market. In one example the lady took her business to another Estate Agency I was told as she was not happy with what offers and prices that the original Estate Agency could achieve. Anyway I am wondering if anyone else has had the same type of experience as me. And also regarding the future price trend of property here in Dublin what %increase do people expect for the coming year? This morning I read an interesting piece on the RTE website and I have copied the link. Would the 4-5 % be an accurate prediction? It seems the FTB is really fighting an uphill struggle to own property - in my case I was chasing a two bedroom second hand house as I'm not keen on buying Apartments.
The %increase is also on concern to me as this reflects on the amount of deposit that I will need - basically it means that i will probably need about another 10 grand to save to add to my original deposit amount that I have already saved.

"The body which represents estate agents has predicted that house price growth will slow to 4-5% in 2007. The Irish Auctioneers and Valuers Institute's annual property survey says 2006 was 'a year of two halves', with Dublin auction prices rocketing in the first half, but 82% of houses withdrawn from auction in the second half. Chief executive Alan Cooke said the withdrawals were the result of 'overly optimistic' price expectations from sellers and uncertainty about stamp duty ahead of the Budget."

Reference Link to above quote: http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0123/iavi.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back