Buying a car in the UK. How to avoid paying VRT?

No no you stated that AAM does not encourage tax evasion. ...
I did state that and I also stated that
IMO it's still a scheme to evade ...
... That sounds like you stating a fact to me. ...
Excellent, it's significant progress to be able to recognise and acknowledge that.
... I'm not the only one who seen it that way, read above. Your alone in your view of evasion. ...
Ignoring for a moment the obvious grammatical deficiencies in these two sentences, do you not have the courage to stand alone for something you believe in or is that might and mob rule make for right? Intellectual discourse does not require rabble-rousing and courageously held convictions and don't require "ganging-up".
... Your alone in your view of evasion...
Moving swiftly past the grammar problems, being alone doesn't make me wrong. Again the mob-rule mentality undermines any intellectual value in an argument, as does missing out on simple matters of fact; please read the thread again, but, much more importantly, familiarise yourself with the Revenue's protocol.
... You said its a scheme to evade, if not not illegal how can it be tax evasion ? ...
Excellent, you got that one almost word perfect eventually, but again it's not up to me to explain your rationalisation of my posts.
... You have failed to show how it is evasion in any way ?
This puzzles me as a construct. On the one hand it appears to be a statement and as a statement I have to say it's false. As I did not set out to show how anything is or was evasion in any way, I have succeeded; as I just offered an opinion, that makes the statement false.

On the other hand it appears to be a question and as a question I have to say its puzzling as well in that it appears to be directed to me, querying me on the success or failure of an enterprise I never engaged in.

Yet again the construct could be one of those typed out versions of an antipodean interrogative, where the last part of a spoken sentence is articulated with a whiney rising inflection, implying some form of query, but generally regarded as being rhetorical at best, risible at worst.

I did state that and I also stated that

Excellent, it's significant progress to be able to recognise and acknowledge that.
Ignoring for a moment the obvious grammatical deficiencies in these two sentences, do you not have the courage to stand alone for something you believe in or is that might and mob rule make for right? Intellectual discourse does not require rabble-rousing and courageously held convictions and don't require "ganging-up".
Moving swiftly past the grammar problems, being alone doesn't make me wrong. Again the mob-rule mentality undermines any intellectual value in an argument, as does missing out on simple matters of fact; please read the thread again, but, much more importantly, familiarise yourself with the Revenue's protocol.
Excellent, you got that one almost word perfect eventually, but again it's not up to me to explain your rationalisation of my posts.
This puzzles me as a construct. On the one hand it appears to be a statement and as a statement I have to say it's false. As I did not set out to show how anything is or was evasion in any way, I have succeeded; as I just offered an opinion, that makes the statement false.

On the other hand it appears to be a question and as a question I have to say its puzzling as well in that it appears to be directed to me, querying me on the success or failure of an enterprise I never engaged in.

Yet again the construct could be one of those typed out versions of an antipodean interrogative, where the last part of a spoken sentence is articulated with a whiney rising inflection, implying some form of query, but generally regarded as being rhetorical at best, risible at worst.

Attack me about grammer:rolleyes:

I didn't realise this was leaving cert english.

Read my 1st post, avoid not evade ( is the grammer correct.....oh sorry i couldn't care less )

Oh and i like all the big words, makes you look all brainy.

Attack me about grammer:rolleyes: ...
I've taken great pains not to attack anyone as to do so would be to breach the posting guidelines.
... I didn't realise this was leaving cert english...
It's not - it's pitched somewhere between Junior Cert and primary school level.
... Read my 1st post, avoid not evade ( is the grammer correct.....oh sorry i couldn't care less ) ...
I have but my point all along has been that the original proposal by OP is tantamount to evasion IMHO and calling the proposal a different name doesn't change what it is, again IMHO. As Juliet observed so sharply in Mr. Shakespeare's play "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."
... Oh and i like all the big words, makes you look all brainy.
I've deliberately avoided using big words.

I agree with mathepac that what the OP asks about is evasion. If you move from the UK to Ireland and reregister your car and are exempt from paying VRT then you cannot sell it within 12 months without the paying the VRT so the OP would save nothing. His friend could not "loan" him the car either as the Revenue stipulate that one of the conditions of the VRT exemption is that only the importer of the car (and their spouse) may drive the car in Ireland.

If you buy a car in the UK for use in Ireland you must pay the VRT unless you qualify for exemption (not your friend), it is the law and there is no legal way around it.

Good luck if you can avoid or evade the illegal vrt taxes..But sadly i can guarantee you that you wont.If you try to register the car under your friends name you will have to supply documentary evidence..which includes your uk bank statements ,utility bills, rent book,,pay slips,and also poll tax receipts.I have brought in cars from the uk and i believe that your payoff will be the quality of car you purchase.A little advice i can give is do not try a purchase from a private seller as the best quality cars can be ex lease cars that have been properly maintained but may have high milleage.These cars are normally been used for sales reps who spend there time going up and down motorways and hence very low wear and tear on the car.If you purchase one of these cars you may find it has approx 80k miles,but you will find it drives like a 30k mile car..and cheaper vrt..hence milleage.I recently purchased a 07 large toyota and only paid 2100 vrt.But this is about knowing the system.not evading...

I agree with mathepac that what the OP asks about is evasion. If you move from the UK to Ireland and reregister your car and are exempt from paying VRT then you cannot sell it within 12 months without the paying the VRT so the OP would save nothing. His friend could not "loan" him the car either as the Revenue stipulate that one of the conditions of the VRT exemption is that only the importer of the car (and their spouse) may drive the car in Ireland.

If you buy a car in the UK for use in Ireland you must pay the VRT unless you qualify for exemption (not your friend), it is the law and there is no legal way around it.
His friend could register here it for free and then immediately re-export the car back to the UK for a year. Nothing could be done about that.

You should read the above post"you will have to supply documentary evidence..which includes your uk bank statements ,utility bills, rent book,,pay slips,and also poll tax receipts..change of residence must be proven....final

Hi Guys
There is no way of avoiding paying vrt, That is if you want to pay it.
Vrt is a completely illegal tax that our government charge us.It is in breach of our constitutional rights and our european rights.The irish drivers association is challenging this in the high court and europe. It is your right to peacefully enjoy your property and the law has in fact no right to try and dispossess you of your property. stand up for your rights and go to your local td's and see how much they want your vote. All stand together on this one and do not under any circumstances let customs or garda take your vechicle from you. Read up on your rights, we are already being screwed with taxes on fuel and road tax.. Time to protect ourselves.We are in europe and let our government know. They wanted us there with lisbon treaty let them know our european RIGHTS.

Back