Buying a car in Northern Ireland

bottle

Hi,

I am about to buy a car in Northern Ireland, and I am fully informed regarding the VRT procedures etc. But, normally here in the south, a change of ownership form is completed, and the the documentation is sent into the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

What happens when buying a car in the North. What documents need to be completed, by who, and where should they be sent.

Totally agree with Mayo. That thread is excellant. It gives all the advice that you need and the right procedures. It is a bit long, but you should read it all.

Best of luck with it. We were thinking about importing a VW passat or A4. There are great savings to be made, even after paying the VRt.

Hi Mayoman,

I checked it out previous to posting, and while it is quite good, it does not mention anything regarding the Northern Irish change of ownership or log book documentation which I am specifically looking for.

Any more ideas?

Up MAYO!!!

As Northern Ireland is part of the UK you'll find the requirements are, funnily enough, exactly the same as detailed on the aforementioned thread...

Eurofan said:
As Northern Ireland is part of the UK you'll find the requirements are, funnily enough, exactly the same as detailed on the aforementioned thread...

Brought in an Audi there 3 months ago. They will send a form to the relevant office to state that the car has been exported.
They also give you the car registration document which you bring to your VRT office with the amount and they will then issue you with an Irish registration form within a few weeks.

Yop

What did you buy?
Did you save much?
Was it worth the effort?

To hell with the VRT

Frank

Am looking at Van in NI at the moment for a friend and only 50 euro VRT for large vans, this is the way the cars should be also.

Well, whatever happens , don't hand over cash unless you get the log book. The car is useless without this document. I'd mention this issue before you view the car, the seller has to declare it as exported (not your problem) !! PS What a complete rip off this VRT business.

Hi YOP,

thanks for the information, but is there a change of ownership form?

Eurofan,

please note the documents are not mentioned in the aforementioned thread.

bottle said:
Eurofan,

please note the documents are not mentioned in the aforementioned thread.

Everything is mentioned in the afformentioned thread, it's only 9 pages long and will comprehensively answer everything there is to ask about importing from the UK.

I bought a car up north recently. i got the log book with it i think it was blue. Anyhow I didn't send anything away just went to the VRT office with form and filled out the info onto another form in the Office. paid over my vrt (oh and tax) and within a week I had a new registration book.

Hoyareya
Do you mind me what car you bought, and how much you may have saved (if any) after paying the VRT?

Frank said:
Yop

What did you buy?
Did you save much?
Was it worth the effort?

To hell with the VRT

Frank

VRT is a balls. But what I got was a 02 A4, 130bhp, 1.9tdi, 71k miles, full leather, cruise control, xenon light, heated washers for lights, dual climate, 6 disk Bose system, 17" alloys, full service history, ex directors car, landed for 19k euro.
Now you can buy a similar year car for prob 21k euro roughly, but nothing near the spec. I have had 2 guys ask me if I would sell it whiich is great, now to get rid of the Focus!!! Anyone in the market??? ;)

So to be truthful, did I save much, it is hard to gauge, you could say I think I would have saved about 2k at a min up to god knows what, maybe 5k euro?

Worth the hassle, yes i think so, I got a car I would not have been able to afford but it took about 6 months of scanning websites. But BCA have a website that you can pay to view all the cars at auction.
I might head over there next time.

I know what you mean Yop

My passat is an import not by me.

It is very hard to find the same toys and gadgets on Irish cars.

Equivelant higlines I have ssen are always missing something.

Best of luck with the car.

What is the best way to contact VRT office? I have emailed and tried phoning but no response. Is it best just to arrive at the VRT office with the car at some stage during the day?

thanks

Here is a number for VRT tallaght.

Probably open at 10 close at 5 past.

So synical

Thanks Frank.

Steve, I just arrived in the office in Castlebar and waited in the queue. Took about 1 hour with the queue and then processing

Hi,
Has anyone ventured into buying a car from the UK via ebay? Prices seem almost too good to be true.

Julian

VRT is a balls. But what I got was a 02 A4, 130bhp, 1.9tdi, 71k miles, full leather, cruise control, xenon light, heated washers for lights, dual climate, 6 disk Bose system, 17" alloys, full service history, ex directors car, landed for 19k euro.
Now you can buy a similar year car for prob 21k euro roughly, but nothing near the spec. I have had 2 guys ask me if I would sell it whiich is great, now to get rid of the Focus!!! Anyone in the market??? ;)

So to be truthful, did I save much, it is hard to gauge, you could say I think I would have saved about 2k at a min up to god knows what, maybe 5k euro?

Worth the hassle, yes i think so, I got a car I would not have been able to afford but it took about 6 months of scanning websites. But BCA have a website that you can pay to view all the cars at auction.
I might head over there next time.

Back