Business student needs help with essay

if it wasn't tourism you could do it about the lady who founded Anne Summers....that at least should be interesting and may have needed you to attend one of those girl only parties, only for education purposes of course!

ClubMan said:
Why not? Just because he joined an existing company, shook it up and made it a market leader? You seem to be taking a narrow view of what an entrepreneur is. Maybe you could clarify?

Is an entrepreneur not someone who sets up a company?

according to the definition he doesnt assume the risk does he?

So basically you are saying any one working in a company can be an entrepreneur? Or just successful ones?

SteelBlue05 said:
according to the definition he doesnt assume the risk does he?
Of course he assumes risk - his job is on the line, a significant part of his remuneration package is contingent on performance and paid by way of shares, he is a significant shareholder in the company etc...

So basically you are saying any one working in a company can be an entrepreneur?
Yes - anybody can exhibit entrepreneurial spirit in their work no matter what the context.

ClubMan said:
Yes - anybody can exhibit entrepreneurial spirit in their work no matter what the context.

Exhibiting entrepreneurial spirit and being an entrepreneur are different things. The original poster is looking for an entrepreneur, not someone with those qualities.

ClubMan said:
Of course he assumes risk -

He didnt assume the risk of setting up the company, thats the point. He is not an entrepreneur.

Definitions.......there'll be no agreement on this:D. IMO the necessity of setting up a company would be a very narrow interpretation of the meaning of entrepreneurship or entreprenurial spirit.
From Wikipedia - bolding added
Our understanding of entrepreneurship owes a lot to the work of economist Joseph Schumpeter and the Austrian School of economics. For Schumpeter (1950), an entrepreneur is a person who is willing and able to convert a new idea or invention into a successful innovation.
The entrepreneur is the kind of person that is willing to put his career and financial security on the line for an idea, spending his time and capital in an uncertain venture.
Howard Stevenson, of Harvard University, believes that entrepreneurship is the "pursuit of opportunity without regard to resources currently controlled".

Inside the mind of this entrepreneur is a vision of a future state that is preferred to the present state.
Through a semiconscious process of intuition and insight, rooted in experience, the entrepreneur develops this vision and a strategy of how to implement it.
This vision is promoted diligently and passionately by the entrepreneur. The job for many provides a feeling of being "alive" or the satisfaction of serving society.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrepreneurship

Myers-Briggs psychological tests have been used by companies to identify desired qualities in employees for particular areas of work. Leaders/Visionaries are the "ideas" people who can be very valuable within an organisation but can also be very destructive due to their propensity to pursue their own aims without regard to the cost. These personality qualities are the driving force behind such people, who seldom see failure as an option. Fine if it's their own money or time they are risking but not so good if it belongs to someone else.

gearoid said:
Lachlan Murdoch? Daddy was already rich.

That was exactly my point... sarcasism sadly does not come accross online!

O'Leary is an Intrapreneur, very similer to an entrepreneur but not the founder.

sherib said:
Donna - you could write the essay based on CGorman's link to Wikipedia

Althought i'm an advocate of the wiki, there has been a lot of controversy within third level institutions about the use of wikipedia material in essays and thesises... they are afraid anyone could write something incorrect and unsourced... for example major articles like Celtic Tiger and the Economy of the Republic of Ireland were written mainly by a 16 year old in the Irish midlands...... me!

You're quite right CG, that wasn't good advice! I was only suggesting Wikipedia as a source for a general preamble on the topic in question. I do agree, Wikipedia would not be an appropriate source to reference in a thesis. However, even on Wipipedia there are references which could easily be verified in a library - if they exist.

I don't believe that having a financially rich father/mother is a major influencing factor in the development of an entrepreneur; more of the opinion it is due to particular personality characteristics and that the primary drive is not money, though that may be the outcome.

Back