Key Post Building costs for self-build.

L

legend99

Can anyone give a rough estimate of self-build costs, be it direct or indirect labour...I'm in the Cork area but any reference values would be appreciated

costs

legend 99,

where abouts in the cork area are you. Did you have the site or have to buy it? planngin to build in cork too

costs

For what it's worth this SCS guide provides rough RE-building cost estimates for the purposes of estimating what level of buildings insurance people need to take out but I'm not sure if/how these relate to initial building costs:

www.scs.ie/publication/hri.asp

Dan,
Hopefully it would be in the South Western quadrant of the outer city..I guess that would range from going out past Douglas.....as in towards Crosshaven...right around to Ovens/Dripsey.

My wife is from Ovens so I guess the A3 zoning thing might open up some possibilities there for us with her...even though noone can explain to me so well what it means!!!

No site yet....but trying to get a feel for the whole thing.

What state are ye in if you don't mind me askgin?

situation

Well legend99

We are only gettign started like yourselfs. im gettign a feel for things, if i was waiting for my other half id be an old man. Anyway we hope to get a site and build somewhere between inishannon and skibbereen. I work in west cork and my gf is from there originally which may help us out regarding zoned land too. whats A3 exactly, only have a vague idea! Hopefully 250k will do it cos i dont know if we'll get anymore. what about yourselfs? we have very good savings and a good combined income anyway so fingers crossed. Someone told me to call into the plannig office in bishopstown and they'll explain the zoning in any area for you. getting the site and planiing will be the hardest part i suppose

..`

I think the A3 means you have to have grown up within 3 miles of the site...A2 2 miles etc. But even if thats right...what constitues having grown up? What happens when one of you is from the area but not the other...do you have to make sure to marry someone from the same parish I wonder!
Do you intend to use 250 to buy the site and build...in that case I reckon you'd be needing to get a site for 80max and not plan on building a mansion. allowing 100 a square foot, a 1500 sq. foot house is 150k before you firnich it kit it out. I have no idea how much cheaper than 100 you might build it for but these days it might not be much. Heres the other thing....you need the plans to settle on a cost. But you can't do the plans until you know the cost..so which do you work on first I wonder!
I must call down to the Model Farm Road as well myself some day. See what they tell me. We have a combined income of close to 70 so I reckon that should get us close to 280 with Ulster or pTSB. We probably would have the bones of 80-100k left from selling our own house so throw in some savings, close to 400k. But to be honest, from what I can see, within 10 miles of the city a site is like close to 200k so we might be snookered either way!!!
www.bowe.ie is a Bandon auctioneer.
www.swsproperty.com/sites.jsp has a handy few in your neck of the woods

often wondered about the notion of going knocking at a farmers door!

building costs.

well id say 100 max for site. Direct labour and you would save an awful lot especially if you pay for everything in cash. We may be able to raise some more money i dunno. By year end we should have circa 24-25k savings, i have shares totally 7-8 k and we have combined income of circa 54k. We are hoping to build a decent size haouse not huge but a good size.

The knocking on farmers doors is a good idea alright

building costs.

A3 zoned means that either you or your partner has to have lived for a defined period of time (5 years ?) within 3 miles of the town in which the site is located.

Have just bought a site myself and found dealing with auctioneers to be very difficult. Most seem lazy and incompotent. Good luck hunting for yor new home.

Land Price

I was looking in this area last year for a site the price was €80,000 plus, if you are prepared to go a few mile out of a town. The price this year is €150,000 plus. don't forget the new council tax on site now. I bought a house eventually which was probably just as cheap.

Re: Land Price

A3 means that you (or partner) have to be from the area in question, and have a genuine housing need.The theory is fairly ok - its the practice is a killer! Having been through it recently, I would advise talking to the relevant planner when you locate a site, and before you make an offer.

Re: Key Post: Building costs for self-build.

Anyone know where I can get updated building costs for county Wicklow

Hi,
Can anyone here who is currently building a house give an indication of the costs per sq foot these days. Has there been much of a decrease in costs since the recession kicked in? I am starting to look at building a house - around 2,000 sq foot. Its our own site so no cost there but we live away from the area so direct labor is not an option.

thanks,
Costa.

Anyone have info on this? (price per sq foot these days)

I've seen quotes for around 70 per square foot in the Clare/Limerick area. Builders finish also. Standard construction, needless to say.

North Cork. Builders Finish only. €150 is way off.

what about galway ?

Starting a self build soon, will be doing ALOT of the work myself and getting the best quotes on materials wherever possible.
I'm in the trade so know how much is fair to be paying lads.
I've done alot of jobs for people but never built my own house before, it's different when it's your own and there's a mortgage involved, will be a 3200sq ft 1.5 storey dormer with geothermal heating, underfloor heating, pre-cast 1st floor slabs and u.f.h upstairs also.
Anyone know what it might cost going down this route, much savings to be had per sq ft ??

Currently building in Kerry. Looking like €120 per sq foot all in. This figure includes driveway, landscaping and geothermal heating system. Probably about €85 builders finish.

Back