Broken Key In Lock - How To Remove

Basta keys have a number printed on them so see if a neighbour has a corresponding number and give it a go.

if the key closed it, it should open it...be sure to try and turn the ket while pulling the door to you or pushing the door away from you. it sounds liek the bolt is tight up againt the hosuing in the frame so pushing or pulling the door a mm should give you the room for it to open.

And the advice I was given by a lock smith....if you can see the bolt...and in your case you can, he said what he would do is get a hacksaw balde, a pair of strong gloves and you will cut through the bolt on a basta type lock in a coulpe of mintes. The brute force is extremely awkward as there is a good chance of you damaging the frame and the force should really be applied by pushing rather than pulling...if you pull the handle too hard you'll just rip it off the door in my opinion...

Basta keys are usually numbered, and as you say, there's only a small range.
Leo

Great, thanks all. I've tried the key that I used to lock it and about half an hour of "jigglin'", so I guess I'll try neighbours, hacksaw, drill - in that order. If that fails, semtex. ;)

brilliant, have you tried unscrewing the lock from the inside, then opening it to reveal the internal workings and just plucking out the key from the inside?

Carpenter said:
.......................and fit a neat brass/ or chrome sliding bolt on the inside of the door. This will cost less than €5 and can be fitted in minutes AND you'll never need to worry about a key again.

..................unless you have young toddlers who are prone to slide the bolt but can't unslide it!!

Been there Observer!

We Irish have such a fascination with bathroom locks. They're pretty useless and unneccessary when you think about it.

Just giving some end to my thread. got the locksmith round yesterday so all fixed again thanks for all the input

Back