Broadband VAT Invoice

K

KRO

I have been using a 3G card since we moved to the sticks a few months ago, but I want to get something a bit more permanent in. Needless to say it is almost impossible to get broadband (never mind decent broadband). Eircom will have it "soon", NTL will have it "soon" Sky will have it "soon", and Vodafone will have it "soon". The only company doing it at the moment is Last Mile and they get fairly bad reviews to say the least, however I decided to give it ago until i read this in their small print....

VAT Invoices will not be issued for a AirMax Home service.

Is this legal? I don't want to pay extra for the business service because I know well it will be the exact same except it is €72 instead of €38 (just typing those prices for 1MB broadband is making me sick). Then to add insult to injury they take a deposit of €30 just to call out to your house and see if it will work at all - if it doesn't they keep the €30. I knew I shouldn't have started this thread because I am getting into a seething rage now - what is really insulting is that the government paid for this scheme and it runs off the local ESB power plant fibre optic cables. How do I end up paying for it twice (as a taxpayer and as a foolish person who chooses to start a tech company in a country where the last potatoes from the famine are still not fully decomposed).

[broken link removed]

Sorry - short version - is it legal to refuse to give a VAT invoice if you are charging VAT?

Sorry - short version - is it legal to refuse to give a VAT invoice if you are charging VAT?

Afaik, for business to consumer transactions there is no obligation to supply a VAT invoice to a non-VAT registered consumer.

However, if you ask them nicely, I'm sure they will provide you with an invoice.

I am a VAT registered business though (sorry - left that crucial point out), but I don't want to pay twice as much for "business" broadband when it is probably going to be the exact same speed etc.

I am a VAT registered business though (sorry - left that crucial point out), but I don't want to pay twice as much for "business" broadband when it is probably going to be the exact same speed etc.

It should be possible for you to explain to them that you're VAT-registered but running a "home business"/"part-time" business/whatever and on that basis you need only the basic service.

I still think that if you do so, and ask them nicely, they will readily provide you with an invoice.

Don't think so.

You don't need an actual vat invoice to get back the vat.
If you look at the standard home eircom bill, it will have the amount of vat charged, at what rate and their vat number.
That is enough for me to get back the vat on my home broadband through work.

That small print is to scare business users into thinking they need to get the business package.

Even if you can't claim back the vat, if the packages are the same it is cheaper for the vat inclusive price of the home package than the vat exclusive price of the business one.

Under Irish VAT law (s17(1)) a taxable person who supplies goods/services to another taxable person must issue a valid VAT invoice in this regard. Non-compliance with section 17 carries a penalty of €5,000. I'm sure they'll supply you with one if you inform them of this fact!

Back