Brexit 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting snap poll after May's speech.

Do you support Theresa May's plan to leave the EU single market?
Support 51%
Oppose 39%

https://twitter.com/SkyData
Control of EU immigration, full Free Trade with the EU, freedom to negotiate tariffs with third countries, exemption from applying EU regulations, end of contribution to EU budget.

Jayz, 39% oppose this.:cool: The UK have a serious mental health problem.

Any chance of dropping "combined" from OP?

Were you a slow learner at school, Dan?

Actually, I was a bookish child and understand that I would today be characterised as dysactive and hyperlexic. Thank you for your concern. Not incidentally,

The UK have a serious mental health problem.

I think what you are trying to say is that the UK has a serious mental health problem. :p Is there a specific number of times that I need to explain this particular rule to you? Just tell me - I'll go along with it. :rolleyes:;);)

Actually, I was a bookish child and understand that I would today be characterised as dysactive and hyperlexic. Thank you for your concern.
I haven't the time to Google these but my sympathies in case they are in order. It feels kinda weird that someone is parsing my grammar, checking my sums, checking my spelling, waiting to pounce but I suppose if I Googled your characterisations I would understand the sindrome (go on get me on that).

Last edited:
Aaaggh Dukie babe,

I'm just happy you're not taking your little ball home with you again! :p Perhaps, with a little care (like occasionally editing your posts??!!), you can get there! ;):oops::oops:

Anyway, you'll be happy that this is my last post on this thread. I'm boring myself senseless at this stage. Also, it are time for Homeland.

We're getting caught up with Brexit which is seen by most to be just a blimp on the way to financial improvement for Ireland. The reality is that the Brits are the first to jump ship (can we blame them?) and Italy and France are just an election behind before they jump too. Brexit is just the start of the breakup of the European Union.

Britain can support itself and a population so little as ours would fit comfortably into the Greater Manchester area and we wouldn't even be noticed. 40% of our exports go to the UK. We can't afford not to have the UK as a large trading partner. Anybody who thinks the French and Germans and God help us the Belgians and Dutch are going to take more of our exports is living in the twilight zone.

We have our politicians telling us that opportunity knocks. We will soon be the largest English speaking country of the EU. Like every multi-national in the UK is just about to up sticks and move to Ennis!

For the record:- Yesterday in the Leper Colony I asked eight of my work colleagues to name an MEP in our constituency. The silence was deafening.

Sooner or later we have to think Irexit; let's go with the Brits before it is too late.

We will be one of the smaller English speaking countries left once the UK leave.Over 90% of the Netherlands can converse in English.Close to 100% of German people involved in trade under 40 year old speak English fluently.Some of the big companies who have located to Ireland see the Population of foreign speaking nationals living in Ireland as the main reason the located here.

Anybody who thinks the French and Germans and God help us the Belgians and Dutch are going to take more of our exports is living in the twilight zone.

So perhaps there's a lot of us living in the twilight zone, you're aware Belgium alone accounts for a similar portion of our total exports as the UK? Indeed in 2015 our exports to Belgium exceeded those to the UK.

Can you clarify what year you're referring to where the UK accounted for 40% of our exports by value?

Some very nice graphics showing exactly what we send and where available here
http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/irl/

The "40%" figure relates to food exports specifically. http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...imary-driver-of-economic-turnaround-1.2221285

We are the 33rd largest exporter in the world, which may be as a result of many things that people have an issue with (multinationals driving high value exports for example) but is definitely not something we should either ignore or view as just a problem. 14% of our exports go to the UK - a not insignificant amount but compare that to Ireland in 1973 - the halcyon days that the 50 and 60 something English voted on the basis of - 55% of ALL Irish exports went to the UK. Fundamentally, whilst they are still a large part of our customer base, we have extended our base beyond a dangerous dependence on them in all areas - even food. Following their lead would be to foolishly bind ourselves once again to a dependence on their magnanimity - it was never a good deal for Ireland.

A hard Brexit will hurt - that is pretty clear. And it will be a difficult adjustment - but if history has taught us nothing else it shows we have dealt with far worse from them.

Last edited:
You need to look at what we are importing from UK and what they are used for. In 1973 I suspect we were not the 33rd largest exporter in the world chances are it was real then. Chances are The 14% now is real wealth
not just paper unlike some of our other exports today.Not the same world now.

You need to look at what we are importing from UK and what they are used for.

Care to elaborate on the breakdown then and what you think the significance is? Otherwise statements such as this are tantamount to trolling.

QUOTE="jjm2016, post: 1502246, member: 98370"]Chances are The 14% now is real wealth not just paper unlike some of our other exports today.[/QUOTE]

What is this fake wealth we're exporting? Are we not getting paid for it?

You need to look at what we are importing from UK and what they are used for. In 1973 I suspect we were not the 33rd largest exporter in the world chances are it was real then. Chances are The 14% now is real wealth
not just paper unlike some of our other exports today.Not the same world now.

Do you think this means something ?

I cannot understand the point you are trying to make.

Some very nice graphics showing exactly what we send and where available here
http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/irl/

The "40%" figure relates to food exports specifically. http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...imary-driver-of-economic-turnaround-1.2221285

We are the 33rd largest exporter in the world, which may be as a result of many things that people have an issue with (multinationals driving high value exports for example) but is definitely not something we should either ignore or view as just a problem. 14% of our exports go to the UK - a not insignificant amount but compare that to Ireland in 1973 - the halcyon days that the 50 and 60 something English voted on the basis of - 55% of ALL Irish exports went to the UK. Fundamentally, whilst they are still a large part of our customer base, we have extended our base beyond a dangerous dependence on them in all areas - even food. Following their lead would be to foolishly bind ourselves once again to a dependence on their magnanimity - it was never a good deal for Ireland.

A hard Brexit will hurt - that is pretty clear. And it will be a difficult adjustment - but if history has taught us nothing else it shows we have dealt with far worse from them.
That export graphic only seems to list physical exports but surely a large part of our export would be services (i.e. consultancy etc.) or software - is this captured in that graph as I didn't see it or where could you find what % this accounts for?

. . . . looks like I undersold Belgium as a friendly country to us . . . . hope there are no Belgians looking in . . . God bless 'em . . .

Leo.There has being a massive jump in net exports In 2015 26.3% Over 200% more than we exported in 2015 to the UK.Economist Jim power dismissed the 26.3% as meaningless.He said it is Inpossible to interpret what is going on.Irish Government say we could loose 40000 jobs with a hard Brexit .If we lost half of the 14% we export to the Uk we would know about it.If we lost the 26.3% we would save around 280 million in payments to the EU in 2017.

cremeegg. Lots of Irish and multinationals companies source services and consumable parts/machinery through UK appointed agents holding contracts to do so for Companies all over the world.This will not change just because Irish companies have to pay a tariff on inports from uk .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back