Boss, opening all mail

mjb

I work in a public body setting and my boss insists that all mail is opened in the general office. Letters addressed to me are delivered opened and I don't even get the envelopes. I don't handle monsy or am not in aposition where money would be in my post. It really gets on my wick and I believe it is all about control. Is somebody entitled to open someone elses mail in the workplace without their consent. I have objected but my objections have been dismissed and my boss says it is the rule of the Department. Can anyone advise?

I used to work for a large multi national corporation and this was the common practice there also. Don't know what the legalities are.

Presumably this is all official mail to the organisation in question as opposed to personal mail? If it's the former then I can't see what the problem is.

Most places I've worked do this. In one the envelope was stapled to the letter and this could be useful from time to time. Where I am now it is not done centrally so much but I am responsible for opening post for a group of people. I don't generally open anything marked private and confidential and internally we also have Strictly Addressee Only stamps which can be used to ensure only the addressee sees the post.

What annoys you about it?

In every company I have worked with, unless the post is marked "Personal", it is always opened and date stamped.
HTH

Back