Bookkeeping course

Mrs Vimes

Hi all,

I'm looking to get back to work after about 10 years of nappy changing - my background is in book-keeping, which I have been doing for a family business all along, however I have no formal qualifications. I have a B. Comm. but went straight into office work after that.

I am now hoping to get back to employment but I think employers want to see proof that you know how to do accounts, rather than just me saying I've been doing them in one form or another for 20 years.

There is a VEC near to me which is running Fetac level 5 and level 6 (or QQI, things have changed recently) in Bookkeeping and Accounts. Having looked at the course list it doesn't strike me that it's anything I haven't been doing all along.

My question really is to the employers out there - would you be more likely to hire an oul wan like me if I had something formal and recent/current on my CV? Any other advice?

Thanks!
Sybil

I didn't answer your first post, not being an employer.
I hadn't worked for 18 years or so, and did the online course for the Institute of Accounting Technicians. I took 4 subjects a year, but could have spread out the study for longer. I'm sure you will have all the basics but if you can afford the time and money, it might make a difference to employers when you tell them you are on a recognised course.

Thanks for the response Gervan, I will look into that. Do you need to have a training contract to do that course?

I didn't, but it's some years ago now. I wasn't working in an accounts capacity when I started, but I did get a job in an accounting practice after finishing my first year of study. I remember someone has to sign re what practical experience you have had, but if you have been working in this line, perhaps a previous employer could attest to your experience.

Thanks so much for the info - sorry for delay in responding.

Previous employers won't be available at this stage, too much time has passed.

I'm inclined to do the local course in the hope of getting a job, just feel the need to have something to show employers I'm not expecting to stroll back to where I left off.

Back