Booking a hotel over the phone with credit card details....not online.

SlugBreath

I wish to book a hotel stay for next year. I will not be booking the hotel online due to a "special offer" price being given to me. I will phone the hotel and give them my credit card details, they will put through the debit at their end. Card number and 3 digit code from the back of the card.

How does the double security work in that case?

Normally when I book online, I am sent a text which I input on to my laptop and I also input my password.

Will the hotel be able to process the payment at their end with just the card number and 3 digit code?

I'm not sure that this is possible any more with PSD2 in force.

With PSD2, users are better protected when making electronic payments, both in ‘brick & mortar’ shops, as well as online. The rules introduce strong customer authentication as the basis for both making payments online and online banking. This means that to prove their identity, users have to provide at least two of the following:

• something they know (e.g. a password or PIN code);
  • something they own (e.g. a mobile phone);
  • something they are (biometrics, e.g. fingerprint or iris/face scan).

The hotel will not have two of the above three as the card is not present and all you are providing is the CVV code.

But call the hotel up and they will tell you.

The hotel will not have two of the above three as the card is not present and all you are providing is the CVV code.

But call the hotel up and they will tell you.
Thanks.

They say that they just want my cc details and 3 digit code on the back of the card. I am trying to figure out how they can debit my card?

Separately.

I just booked Ryanair flights and I had to input 3 codes.

First Code. They said I was booking from an unknown device so emailed me a code.

Second Code. I had to input my password to pay.

Third Code. I had to input a six digit code after my password code.

Maybe retailers are different?

It's a Card Not Present transaction and the responsibility of it being a genuine transaction rests with the hotel. If you disputed it they would have to show where you authorised it / they gave the service or goods.

Online, with psd2, the retailer/ service provider no longer takes the risk once they are compliant with psd2.

Back