Book-keeper needs advice

flakey

Don't know if this is the right place for this query but here goes.

Basically I am a self-employed book-keeper working for myself the past few yrs. This situation was kind of forced on me through redundancy so am very lucky to have the work. My problem is this, I am not a business person, never wanted to work for myself, find it lonely and feel isolated. I have a decent enough income from it but would much rather work for an accountant in an office with other people.

Does anyone know how I could approach other accountants and sell myself and my business to them? I mean take me on as an employee with a ready made client list, who has the ability to do additional work. The fees I generate currently would more than compensate them. I currently have 2 very part-time people working for me, mainly due to the fact that if anything happened to me the work could still be done. I actually don't need them but have them as backup, so this is one of the un-necessary costs I have. I love the work I do and do it to a high standard and want to continue with the clients I have as I have an extremely good working relationship with them all.

Any advice anyone? Many thanks.

Flakey As someone who worked as a sole trader with no staff for years I sympathise with your feelings of isolation. On the other hand a job is a job. As an accountant looking at your circumstances I would fear that by employing you I might be setting myself up to lose you at a future date when you realise that the grass is not actually greener on the other side. My fear would be that you would take a lot of my clients with you. To get the position you are looking for you would have to assure your potential employers that this would not be the case. My feeling on this is that you have nothing to lose by asking. Ring the accountants in your area and ask for an appointment to meet with the Principal in each office. Do not provide any details until you meet face to face - just say you have a business proposition. Come prepared with details of your current t/o and also the type of clients you do work for. Also provide samples of the work you do (with names removed of course!!). Have this typed and as professionally presented as possible. Good luck.

Hi flakey

Another option to consider is to look for another bookkeeper to join as a partner. Having a partner reduces the isolation and gives you the back-up you need.

Are you a member of the Institute of Accounting Technicians? If so, they will probably help you to find a partner or you could advertise in their magazine.

Brendan

Hi . I am in same position myself working as a self employed bookkeeper in cork. i would be interested in a partnership if you wish to pm me

I completely relate to the feeling of isolation. Running a business on your own is a very lonely place. That said, I don't like your idea of allowing someone else to employ you in your business. You're relinquishing too much control. simplyjoe made the valid point that you could run off with some of their clients, but what if they decide to do away with you?...

In your situation, I prefer Brendan's suggestion of teaming up with someone who may be in a similar situation to you. Maybe you could get a small office together given that rent is a lot cheaper these days. If it were another book-keeper then you could get a familiarity with each others clients which ensures a continuance of service if one of you is unable to work for any reason.

Perhaps it doesn't even have to be another book-keeper. Maybe it could be someone who provides a service that compliments yours e.g. business advisory coach or financial adviser (pensions, life assurance etc). At least then you have someone to bounce business matters off. For accounting/technical matters, you have this site and perhaps some former colleagues (?).

I would really encourage you to persevere. Becoming self-employed and starting your own firm is scary enough when you make the decision to - but when it's forced on you, well, I can only imagine what goes through your mind. That said, you seem to have the right attitude towards your clients and your work. They will respond to that and you may find you grow because of it.

Like most threads, this will probably end up being buried under hundreds more. I want you to feel free to PM me about anything like this and if I can help then I certainly will.

Cheers

David

Actually I admire you for your post. PM me and if we are in the same area perhaps I could offer you something to suit us both

Thanks for all the replies! Am taking a few days deserved holidays to look at all my options.

Some good points raised! SimplyJoe, I would have very moral and ethical standards and would never ever dream of doing that! But then thats just me.

Yes I am IATI qualified, thanks for the idea of contacting the assocaition. I actually did that a number of yrs ago when I started but nothing came of it. The business has grown since then so maybe there is more hope this time round.

I have a lot to think about! May well be in touch with one or two of you. Even just to bounce ideas.

Thanks again

Hi flakey,

Could you PM me and let me know where you are based. We are in the same situation.

Thanks

Back