book internal flights when i get to USA or before i go

poppy123

i am thinking of going to america next year, we would fly from dublin to new york. we then want to visit florida and california. i dont know if its cheaper to book in advance from here or when i get there, ive heard internal flights are as easy as getting a bus here. thanks

It should make no difference where you are when you book them (the timing of the booking might make a difference but that is very difficult to "fine tune" and likely the sweet spot would be when you are in Ireland) if you know your dates then I would suggest booking now, that way you have your details before you travel and can plan better. For example, baggage restrictions and allowances can vary from airline to airline and plane to plane and turning up with too much luggage for a flight can be very expensive. Use a service like SkyScanner to work out your journey.

Internal flights are fairly straightforward on arrival, but courtesy of 9/11 they have become more like international flights in terms of departure. You have to go through the TSA palaver, gone are the days of walk up and walk on.

Last edited:
thank you very much, will book before hand and like you say i can plan better. thanks for taking the time

It should make no difference where you are when you book them (the timing of the booking might make a difference but that is very difficult to "fine tune" and likely the sweet spot would be when you are in Ireland) if you know your dates then I would suggest booking now, that way you have your details before you travel and can plan better. For example, baggage restrictions and allowances can vary from airline to airline and plane to plane and turning up with too much luggage for a flight can be very expensive. Use a service like SkyScanner to work out your journey.

Internal flights are fairly straightforward on arrival, but courtesy of 9/11 they have become more like international flights in terms of departure. You have to go through the TSA palaver, gone are the days of walk up and walk on.

Southwest Airlines have some great policies when it comes to their flights. Flights can be changed with them quiet easily and if for any reason you need to cancel a flight, you can use the credit on another flight. This is standard procedure with them So i would say book in advance if using an Airline like Southwest...

Back