Bogus Charges!!

P

pugg25

Just booked a flight on ryanair.com and noticed they charge €5 for using your credit card........

What a complete rip off!! €5 to use your cc on their website. Surely there is no justification for it??

credit card

well considering they won't let you use any other kind of card then yes it is a rip off. Last time I tried, they didn't accept Laser cards. Is it €5 per person, per flight or €5 per booking. I wish there was a regulator that made airlines adopt a "the price you see is the price you pay" policy - at least then it would be easier to compare fares.

Well I only booked for one person on one flight so I'm not sure if it is per person.

Just noticed that the charge is only visible directly after you buy the flight and is bundled in with other charges on the confirmation e-mail. Nice scam Mr O'Leary.

If only more low cost airlines would fly out of Dublin I would avoid Ryanair at all costs!

Re: credit card

There is a link on Ryanair's "confirm purchase" screen that details the charges - they say GBP£1.75/€2.50 for credit card transactions and GBP£0.40/€0.60 for debit cards. It's not clear if buying an outward and return flight in one go is considered two transactions thereby doubling these charges (as in your case?). Ultimately they do seem to give information about these charges up front (albeit via a link/popup dialog box) so to call them "bogus" seems a bit harsh on the face of things.

Re: credit card

If only more low cost airlines would fly out of Dublin I would avoid Ryanair at all costs!

If you're willing to avoind them at all costs then you don't need more low fares airlines. Fly with a high fares airline.

As for Credit Card Charges, my understanding was that Vendor's were not allowed to levy an additional charge for Credit Cards over and above other forms of payment. Ryan Air get around this by only accepting Credit Card.

If you want a real laught type Ryanair into the Asai.ie search engine. There's numerous complaints unabout Ryanair advertising Fares that exclude various Taxes and Charges. And then you get a complaint FROM Ryanair making exactly the same claim about Thomsonfly.com. Upshot of it all they're all still doing it. So much for someone forcing them to include all charges.

-Rd

Re

Daltonr I was trying to be ironic :)

It is such a huge charge. A short trip to Scotland and that €5 is 10% the price of the flight.

Re: Re

Before you start slagging off Ryanair's charging policy, think of what a seat on a flight to Scotland with your free greasy sandwich and cup of tea would have cost in the pre-Ryanair days.

I don’t think Aer Fungus would have done that route for €50, ten or fifteen years ago. Now that Willie Walsh has whipped them into shape, they can compete with the best of them.

Most airlines add on a host of travel taxes / charges nowadays. I don’t think it should be a surprise to any one to see them at the point of booking.

Re: Re

Sorry, we have policy of not discussing RyanAir on this site. Unfortunately these treads quickly degenerate. Im closing the thread.

This is not a forum for criticizing Ryanair Unfortunately, some posters are using Askaboutmoney solely for the purpose of criticizing Ryanair. They have made little or no other contribution to Askaboutmoney.

The moderators have spent an unacceptable amount of time editing and deleting these posts,so we have decided to ban discussion of Ryanair. All future posts on the topic or discussion of this decision will simply be deleted. We have better things to be doing with our time.

There are many other websites which would be delighted to host these discussions. Check out this one

This affects the occasional poster who has a once-off question or comment on Ryanair but we have no other choice.

Brendan

ajapale

Back