BofI credit card “tap” not working

Dinarius

Not a money problem, more a consumer problem. Hence posting here.

I’ve been using a BofI commercial credit card for years.

Recently, my old style credit card expired and was replaced by the new BofI card.

I activated the card by making a purchase and inserting the card into a payment machine. After this, I could use it for payments in machines, or online purchases. But, the payment by “tap” feature never worked.

BofI said they had no reports of other users having the same problem and they replaced the card. I’ve had the second new card over a week and it has the same problem. I cannot pay by tapping it against a machine.

My third card is now on its way.

Yes, I know…first world problems and all that.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

D.

I presume you are taking the card out of your wallet when using it and the potential purchase is under €50. ?

BAnks have various rules for when you have to use a PIN, normally it is one in 5 or 10 transactions or a velocity rule if you have made multiple transactions in a short period. It's possible you've fallen foul of that and it may "settled down" after a few uses

Thanks.

Been on the phone to them four times and confirmed all of the above.

Though maybe there is a number of machine transactions you have to key in before the tap feature kicks in. If so, they probably would have told me.

Awaiting my third card to see.

D.

Contactless cards contain RFID chip (and antenna). This is how "payment by tap" works. As such, it exposes you to security risks, as this is also an attack vector for scammers and hackers who you might be unlucky enough to *bump* into. Your case may be RFID interference (other devices or transmitters in proximity) or demagnetisation (damage to your cards strip) due to something as simple as a magnetic clip on your wallet. Wireless charging devices will blitz your card RFID for example. Placing your card in a phone case wallet (phone emits dangerously high levels of EMF) can also be damaging. Be interesting to know the outcome with your third card!

If you've never used *any* card to tap-to-pay go to the the shops with someone who has, so they show you the right place to tap the card on the relevant part of the machine. If it doesn't work for them, then it could be a card problem. If it does work, then it's a you problem :)
I remember the first time I used Google Pay on my phone a few years ago I had no idea that the phone needed to be unlocked to work, and the shop assistant didn't either. If I hadn't worked that out, I'd have come to the conclusion my phone or the app was at fault.

My third card worked and has been working since I received it.

No idea why I had a problem with the first two.

Anyway, sorted.

D.

Back