BMW Head Gasket Replaced - Now selling car

my2leftfeet

Recently replaced head gasket in 4 year old BMW 3 series. Had been thinking about replacing the car over next couple of months. Just wondering if the fact that the head gasket blew would be seen as a negative. Or would the fact that the car has a new head gasket be seen as a positive?!

Depends on the buyer. I would see it as a positive as maybe the problem won't likely to resurface for a while/at all.

Why did the head gasket blow?

To be honest - I didn't take the time to ask all the questions. Just so relieved to get problem sorted. Mechanic basically said - these things happen, you can be unlucky.

head going in a 4 year old BMW.now that is a rareity.........just goes to show they are not bulletproof.

if selling the car you can do 2 things........tell the truth or say nothing if buyer dosn't ask

I'd mention in the sale that it was done. One less thing for the buyer to worry about. Provide a receipt to show the work and it's cost.

RS2K said:
I'd mention in the sale that it was done. One less thing for the buyer to worry about. Provide a receipt to show the work and it's cost.

if selling it to a garage as a trade in would you tell them...........they screw alot of people!

X-Man said:
if selling it to a garage as a trade in would you tell them...........they screw alot of people!

Stick to the topic and let's not get into that here.

Any chance a potential buyer would worry the car had been driven 'hard' causing the head gasket to blow? Any other potential side effects?

CCOVICH said:
Stick to the topic and let's not get into that here.

Any chance a potential buyer would worry the car had been driven 'hard' causing the head gasket to blow? Any other potential side effects?

high milage(but still rare in a 4year old BMW)

Sorry - car is 5 years old. Early 01. Mileage is 62k. I have it 1.5 years and before I bought it invested in comprehensive AA check - which did not throw up anything of concern. Prospective buyer can have AA report / full service history and receipt for head gasket work.

Did you buy it from a Main Dealer, and what was their response when you told them?
Maybe a letter to the Importer might help recoup some of the cost

Head gasket shouldn't go in a 4 year old car, especially BMW, who pride themselves on "quality, performance, its yours as a right!" as the radio add goes. (Sorry if am going off topic)

X-Man said:

Always tell the truth. The best policy.

As your mechanic said these things happen.

I would imagine the timing belt was changed and probably water pump, and the car will have had an oil change etc duing the job on the head.

As long as the job was done well, should not be a negative. If anything the timing belt change is a good thing.

Would unduly worry me.

I also have a 3 series BMW but I was told that it doesn't have a timing belt.... it has a chain. Can someone clarify - I checked the manual and couldn't find any reference to the timing belt so I presumed I had been informed correctly. Mileage is at 70k now so I'd appreciate if someone could confirm - before it gets very costly. Thanks!

HG shouldn't go after 4 years that would raise serious qeustion marks to me if I was buying it.There might be a fault in other engine components also if that thats the case. I would get rid of it asap before you find out.
I have a 16year old car (vw golf) with 160k on clock and never had any major engine problems.

Back