BMW 316i Oil Consumption

Squidward

Hi All,
I purchased a 2002 BMW 316i in November 2007 for €18500. It was part of the BMW premium selection used cars. I got a one year warranty.
A couple of months after purchase the low level oil light came on. I filled the oil back to the top level and thought no more. Again after a few months the oil light came on again. At this stage I recorded the mileage that I was getting per litre of oil. It worked out at around 700 miles per litre. I mentioned this to the garage and they took the car in for a diagnostic check.

To cut a long story short, the car has been in the garage 5 times with the same problem.

The last repair (a new engine block) took place last month. BMW Ireland tried to get me to pay for half the repair €3500 as the car was out of warranty. I informed them I would not pay a penny as it's the same problem that they have not repaired properly in warranty. They backed down, and paid the full amount. I have a from the dealer stating that they needed to replace the block due to piston bore wear.
Now I'm only getting 350 miles to a litre of oil.

Surely I cannot keep sending this car back with the same problem?
Apologies for the long post, but I would like to hear what others would do in my position..
Thanks.

Back