Bit confused about commercial vehicles

sinbadsailor

Just wanted to confirm that a commercial SWB Lancruiser is still/was ever classed as a comercial and only liable for 5% BIK?

Was reading other details and their was some confusion over the car was designed as a passenger vehicle, i/e seats in rear so would still be classed as such with reaer seats taken out, blacked out windows etc.

Don't want to get one and find out in 12 months time that my BIK calc was seriously under?

Hi

Our job has a fleet of about 30 cars and we also have reps that drive commercial toyota landcruiser swb jeeps. I work in finance and for the jeeps we apply the 5% BIK rule. The company had a revenue audit this year and BIK was an area that revenue covered extensivley. They were quite happy for us to apply the 5% on the commercial jeeps. Therefore I think that you shoul be ok.
Below is the revenues definition of a "van/commercial vehicle"

A van has now been defined in tax legislation as a mechanically propelled road vehicle which:

a) is designed or constructed solely or mainly for the carriage of goods or other burden,

b) has a roofed area or areas to the rear of the driver’s seat, and
c) has no side windows or seating fitted in that roofed area or areas.

If your vehicle does not meet the definition of a van, it is likely that it will be treated as a car for income tax purposes (see above).

If the vehicle is not used after working hours, kept at the business address and has more than one driver insured on it is it not excluded from BIK then. Any feedback would be great as I was told this was the case by a revenue member in the past?

If the vehicle is not used after working hours, kept at the business address and has more than one driver insured on it is it not excluded from BIK then. Any feedback would be great as I was told this was the case by a revenue member in the past?

if the vehicle is not used after hours and is kept at the business address then there would be no personal usage by employees so BIK would not apply, BIK is a tax in respect of the personal usage of the company asset.

Back