Bid on House. Auctioneer acting strange..

Andy_and_lou

We put a bid on a house last night but the Auctioneering was nearly telling us not too if you know what I mean. She kept on telling us we should see in the day light and to make another appointment, then when we put in the offer, I indicated that we would still be looking around (did want to give her the vibe that we were desperate for the house but did tell her that we did like it) and she told us that we should go off and if we do find something else to go for it :-/ I did ask the question were the owners deffinately selling and she said that they were and need to be out by end of January as they were moving counties to a new Job. This is true as my parents went down to have a look at the outside of the house over the weekend and met the owners who gave them the same story. I also told the auctioneer that we had put a deposit down on the exact same house in the same estate but had to pull out as there was a problem with attic conversion, basically our engineer told us not to buy it and wouldn't do a valuation.

Any ideas of why the auctioneer would be acting like this? Is because she wants the house to seem exclusive or something or has she got someone in her own mind to buy the property. There are alot of houses in the same estate for sale but only 2 of this type, the one we orginally put the deposit on and this one. Does this sound like strange behaviour from the Auctioneer or is it the norm??? PS she did say there were no offers and it's been on for the last 2.5 weeks and also she said that the owners will be happy with a bid and thanked us but still I found the above behaviour strange to say the least. Also we are ready to go ie mortgage in place no place to sell etc.

Re: Bid on House. Auctioneering acting strange..

She prob wants to sell it to a friend at the right price. Be sure to drop a letter through the door with your offer, in case it does not get passed on. But after PTs program you might be OK on this. Well.. for a few months until the PT effect has worn off and it is back to business a usual.

Towger.

PHP:
She kept on telling us we should see in the day light and to make another appointment, then when we put in the offer, I indicated that we would still be looking around (did want to give her the vibe that we were desperate for the house but did tell her that we did like it) and she told us that we should go off and if we do find something else to go for it.

Or maybe she's trying to tell you (without saying outright) there is something actually wrong with the house that you can see during the day but may not be so obvious when dark. Have you checked the house during daylight?

PHP:
She kept on telling us we should see in the day light and to make another appointment, then when we put in the offer, I indicated that we would still be looking around (did want to give her the vibe that we were desperate for the house but did tell her that we did like it) and she told us that we should go off and if we do find something else to go for it.

PHP:
Or maybe she's trying to tell you (without saying outright) there is something actually wrong with the house that you can see during the day but may not be so obvious when dark. Have you checked the house during daylight?

I thought the same.

that is weird! I wonder if the seller knows how bad their estate agent is dealing with their sale. If I was you, I'd visit the property in the day time, check it out and if it's ok call to the seller yourself. Explain to them the way the estate agent was carrying on and see if they want to deal directly with you, cutting out the estate agent.
Who knows maybe the seller will even give you a better deal since they wont have to pay agent fees.

....cutting out the estate agent.
I'd also be sure to question directly the EA on this. Say you're not sure what they are trying to hint at and would be a lot happier if they just said whatever was on their mind.

If they are hinting at something they obviously want you to pick up on it. It's then up to you to decide if it's in your best interest to listen to what is said (potential that it is being said in the EAs best interest) or not. It certainly can't hurt to ask.

Then you could approach the seller knowing a few more pieces of the jigsaw.

Its a possibility that they are trying to do you a favour. sometimes you can look at things through rose tinted glasses.....go to the house again ..check out neighbours, structure, roof,heating , look around thoroughly, look for everything and if you can see nothing then maybe the auctioneer is trying to sell to someone else. I doubt they would be so blatant about it though if they were

Its a possibility that they are trying to do you a favour. sometimes you can look at things through rose tinted glasses.....go to the house again ..check out neighbours, structure, roof,heating , look around thoroughly, look for everything and if you can see nothing then maybe the auctioneer is trying to sell to someone else. I doubt they would be so blatant about it though if they were

I agree with you and my gut is the EA is actually doing you a favour,do as they say take a dam good look at it during day light(preferably with engineer/builder ) also ask around about the area etc.

I agree with you and my gut is the EA is actually doing you a favour,do as they say take a dam good look at it during day light(preferably with engineer/builder ) also ask around about the area etc.
And explicitly ask the EA what they were hinting at!

why would a horrid rotten estate agent be doing somebody a favour, when they are doing themselves out of commission???????

why would a horrid rotten estate agent be doing somebody a favour, when they are doing themselves out of commission???????
How do you know it's a "horrid rotten estate agent"? Perhaps if it's someone the OP has seen a couple of other houses they've built up some rapport. Estate agents are like people in any other profession - there are some utter scumbags, and there are a lot who are normal nice people making a living and trying to behave ethically in an under-regulated profession, and who don't want to see anyone getting a raw deal.

I would, anyway, strongly advise the OP (and anyone else) not to make an offer on a house you have seen only in the dark - a lot can slip by in artificial light even in the inside, and you haven't a hope of identifying any problems with the roof, guttering, garden / boundaries. Make the time to see it in daylight, and if you're still sure after that that you want to offer and the EA is making discouraging noises, ask them straight out if they have concerns about the property. Or ask the EA first.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth - sometimes someone's really just trying to do you a favour!

don't think it out too much, she can't be doing you a favour - ultimately you aren't going to be paying her, she is not mary ****ing magdalene. She is saying what the estate agent said to me when I saw the house wanted - look at it in daylight, no matter how keen you are now at night, you'll doulbe up on how much you want it when the sun shines in... she is there to sell

Maybe the place is falling down but they know they can sell it to a builder / investor as opposed to some poor sod looking for a home - that way they still get their commission but don't put joe soap on the breadline paying for underpinning and major structural work. Estate agents are human too, some of them anyway.

Our local estate agent told my brother to stear clear of a house last year, later a builder bought it turns out there was a victorian sewer leaking under the gable and the whole thing had to come down.

There is also a distinct possibility they are trying to reserve the place for someone else.

I experienced the same thing a few years ago. The reason at that time was that they wanted to sell it to someone else who was also selling their house through the same estate agent. That way, if the EA sold to their preferred buyer, they got a double commission!

you might be buying a house with neighbours from hell or maybe the house has problems. Whatever it is, you made your offer, go back and view during the day (you'll never forgive yourself if there is a problem and you get the house) and when you do that, ask to speak to the EA's manager and put it straight to them. Be upfront, always the best way.

Maybe the Auctioneer was not thinking of you but her client. You only looked at the property at night time and put in an offer. You also said that you would still be looking elsewhere (so not a serious offer is her view maybe) and you also said that you put an offer on an indentical house and pulled out (so the same problems there will be here and you will pull out also) Maybe the Auctioneer didn't think that her client should accept an offer as once sale agreed then nobody else can offer and she felt the risk of pulling out was too high. Thus telling you to see in daylight etc so you are sure before her client commits to you.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I tend to agree with you Bob_tg.

BK2, the reason we pulled out of the other property is basically because we had too, our engineer didn't pass it, as good a reason as any in my eyes. If it had been passed we'd probably be moving in by now and I did explain this to the auctioneer.

Back