Beware of 10 year parts warranties on household appliances.

Des Pondent

A heads up to anyone thinking of buying household appliances that offer 10 year parts warranties once you register your purchase online. Sounds great, no charge for parts, but with Hoover and probably the others the call out charge, after the initial 1 year parts & labour warranty is an over the top €165. My appliance cost €300.

I would have opted for another brand that offered 2 years parts & labour had I realised this.

I don't expect to have a problem, but it does happen even with top end brands.

The options out there, depending on the brand, seem to be 1 year parts and labour, some offer 2 years parts and labour subject to registration, and some offer 1 year parts and labour with a further 9 years on parts but only when registering after purchasing are you told of the €165 call out charge.

The over the top call out charge should be made clear before purchase.

I don't expect to have a problem, but it does happen even with top end brands.
If it does, then it sounds like some sort of bad quality control or built-in obsolescence from a brand trading on its name. In my opinion, these sorts of warranties are like the kind of pointless and expensive thing that the likes of Argos used to push on customers. "Would you like to insure your €20 toaster for two years for a mere €10?". Er, no thanks. :rolleyes:

That's still happening. To get the extended parts warranty I had to register by phone, where they then offer parts and labour cover for only €3.50 or thereabouts weekly.

That's €182 a year, my appliance cost €300.

Viking direct have been pulling this stunt for years. Sticking a few euros on an invoice as insurance for pens etc.

Mind you I did register a dishwasher for a free extended second year warranty. The €279 machine gave up the ghost bang on 14 months. Motor replaced by service guy no questions asked.

Bought a Hotpoint product recently...they have 5 years Labour & 5 years parts...most others had 1 year labour +5/10 year parts

That would persuade me to buy Hotpoint.
I think it varies on the appliance. We got an oven recently and the cover was 2 years labour 10 years parts.

Out of interest if a machine stops working shortly after a year would you have a strong case in the small claims court?

That's still happening. To get the extended parts warranty I had to register by phone, where they then offer parts and labour cover for only €3.50 or thereabouts weekly.

That's €182 a year, my appliance cost €300.
Why would anyone want a 10 year parts on a hoover? If it doesn't work in year 3 you buy a new one.

Why would anyone want a 10 year parts on a hoover? If it doesn't work in year 3 you buy a new one.
If you are talking about a cheap vacuum cleaner, I have no idea.

Most of my larger appliances last a lot longer than 3 years. My current freezer is over 10 years old.

Hoover is a brand who do all appliances, fridges, washers, vacuums etc. The over the top €165 call out charge that applies should be mentioned before you buy your hoover appliance with its 10 year parts warranty, not when you register after buying.

I would have bought another brand had I been aware of the excessive call out charge.

Last edited:
I would have bought another brand had I been aware of the excessive call out charge.
Well it's all on their website if you'd looked
Just out of interest if €165 call out charge to include labour is excessive, how much do you think they should be charging

Well it's all on their website if you'd looked
Yes it is all on their website.

This thread is just a heads up to the many like myself who don't research all manufacturers warranties beforehand.

The big sticker on the display model in the shop should say 10 year parts warranty subject to €165 call out charge, not just 10 year parts warranty.

If you are talking about a cheap vacuum cleaner, I have no idea.

Most of my larger appliances last a lot longer than 3 years. My current freezer is over 10 years old.

Hoover is a brand who do all appliances, fridges, washers, vacuums etc. The over the top €165 call out charge that applies should be mentioned before you buy your hoover appliance with its 10 year parts warranty, not when you register after buying.

Everybody knows the call out charges are high. Which is why if an appliance of 200-300 Euro breaks people just get a replacement. Sounds to me like you want your hand held. What would you do if you bought a €600 dishwasher last year being told the call out charge was €50 and next year you call them out for a fault and they charge you €150 call out?

I'd never call anyone out for a standard vaccuum cleaner, but I have done for a 15 year oven, (glass replacement) and dishwasher (expensive).

Everybody knows the call out charges are high. Which is why if an appliance of 200-300 Euro breaks people just get a replacement. Sounds to me like you want your hand held. What would you do if you bought a €600 dishwasher last year being told the call out charge was €50 and next year you call them out for a fault and they charge you €150 call out?

I'd never call anyone out for a standard vaccuum cleaner, but I have done for a 15 year oven, (glass replacement) and dishwasher (expensive).
No idea where you are coming from with this.

I slipped up on this occasion by not researching the 10 year parts warranty beforehand, instead I took it at face value. I will be wiser next time.

As I said, it is just a heads up to others.

Yes it is all on their website.

This thread is just a heads up to the many like myself who don't research all manufacturers warranties beforehand.

The big sticker on the display model in the shop should say 10 year parts warranty subject to €165 call out charge, not just 10 year parts warranty.

Can you get a repair man to diagnose what parts are needed and request the parts under the 10 year warranty?

So very recently I had this experience. I have a seven year old indesit washing machine and the drum bearings went. So bearings are normally €30 or so but in my case the drum and basin thing are all one part, which have to be replaced as a unit and was €300/400 to order. As much as a new machine but I’d rather just fix it rather than dump the machine.

So I ring the 10 year parts number on the front. Get the scéal about the call out charge which is still a good deal as the parts are included etc. Next they offer insurance for €17 a month. The terms of which are that I must pay for 6 months minimum, otherwise I bear the full cost of repair. I tell the guy that my machine is already broken, the part is over 300 quid and that I will definitely cancel the insurance after the minimum period. And he tells me that’s the deal!

So my machine is fixed, they will cover any other faults during the insurance period and if they can’t fix it, they will replace it apparently! And the machine was fixed before the first payment had been taken. Not a bad deal at all!

Out of interest if a machine stops working shortly after a year would you have a strong case in the small claims court?
You should do unless it was a real budget model. The vendor would have to argue that the normal life expectancy of such a machine was a year, and that's unlikely to succeed for most domestic appliances.

Back