Best self-directed pension - rabo?

D

Daithiosuill

Hi,

I want to start a pension in which I have control over the investment sectors and where I can review the funds every few years.

The Bank of Ireland pension offers some control but the investment funds are not in sectors I am looking for. The Rabo direct pension (posted on the BestBuy section of this site by MugsGame) offers a good range of investment funds. These are much more in sectors I am looking for.

Is the Rabo pension option well regarded by the community? Are there any downsides to it? Are there any alternatives I should consider that offer good control and a wide range of sectors?

David

Last edited by a moderator:
The PRSAs offered by Rabo are not self-directed - Rabo sell Zurich Life PRSAs and the funds are managed by Zurich Life.

You can switch between Zurich Life funds as and when you want. This is standard industry practice - you can do this with any pension plan you arrange.

You should also be aware that Rabo's service is execution-only i.e. Rabo do not offer you any advice as to the suitability of the product to your needs, choice of funds, level of contribution etc. You should only avail of an execution-only service if you're suitably well-informed on all of these aspects.

Charges on the Zurich Life PRSA include a small percentage per contribution as well as 1% of the fund per year. You can buy an identical Zurich Life PRSA, also on an execution-only basis from a discount broker with no charge per contribution and just the 1% annual fund management charge. There's a list of discount brokers in the Best Buys section of Askaboutmoney.

Back