Health Insurance Best Option for Single Female (Alternatives

irishgurl2

Morning All,

Quick question re opinions and/or possible savings.
Current Status: 35 single female, no dependants, current policy up for renewal next Month

Currently paying 1450 per year (First Plan Plus 1- VHI) and haven't claimed in past five years.
I'm thinking I'm paying too much and want to see what else is out there.

Am fortunate that I have good health and don't see doctor except to get a script every 6 months.

Why do I want/need Health Insurance?
Mostly to be able to see Consultants- should the need arise and have access to hospital quickly) , semi private, private room, not too pushed.

So am wondering what the alternatives are or do I have too high a level of cover for my needs.
I've had VHI since I started working 13 years ago and am only beginning to question it now. Work used to pay for it but I've changed jobs two years ago and just questionning the amount I'm paying.
The next question is can I afford it, probably but could I spend the money elsewhere, like put into my pension,... I would prefer that. my friends think my level of cover is OTT.

Any comments appreciated. SnowyB, I've seen some of your posts here and think they are really good. Keep up the good work.

Hi irishgurl2,

There are a few alternative options available with similar cover at cheaper prices with VHI;

NOTE; The following plans include a hospital excess which is payable on admission for a stay or day case in a private or hi-tech hospital,
it doesn't apply to any public hospital admissions. The plan you are on at the moment has no hospital excess which is the main
reason why it is more expensive.

1. Plan PMI 37 13; price 1011pa; same hospital cover 100 excess, no outpatient cover.
2. Company Plan Plus Select; price 1134pa; same hospital cover 125 excess, some outpatient cover.
3. Plan PMI 36 13; price 1175pa; same hospital cover 75 excess, good outpatient cover.

[broken link removed]

There are other cheaper options available with laya - Flex range - if you opt for a higher hospital excess.
Flex Choice and Plus plans include outpatient cover, Explore range has no outpatient cover.

[broken link removed]

The selection of plans above, all include the 3 levels of hospital cover; public, private and hi-tech cover.
Having all 3 levels can be useful if prompt access is required.

Consultant visits are paid for privately upfront and can be partially claimed for as part of the end of year outpatient claim.
The refund due depends on the plan you choose if outpatient cover is included.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much Snowy B, I'm only managing to get back to this now as I've been away. this is certainly food for thought

Rgds

Laya Connect Care 100 was what I settled on after much searching... used to be with VHI for decades. I think it's much better and about 250 euro cheaper as well.

Back