Best medium car to buy

Thanks to all - mind firmly made up. going to test drive a 1.6 Focus at the weekend. Thanks again for the opinions.

Best of luck. Do not make an error and buy an LX model though. Spec. isn't great.

hmm, I had heard that the 1.4 focus was a bit sluggish alright. Of course, the bigger the engine, the bigger the road tax, insurance etc. But if there is that much difference between a 1.4 and a 1.6 then I'd rather pay the extra and not be left stuck on the wrong side of the road whilst struggling to overtake!

Thing is, the 1.4 corolla does not seem to have the same 'slowness' problems?? Why would that be, considering the engine is the same size?

The ford 1.4 engine is an old reliable engine used for many years- even the 1.6 there used to be a choice between the older engine and the newer zetec.
Toyota only use their VVTi engines on their newer cars and these tend to carry more horse power

No. Both the 1.4 and 1.6 Ford Engines are modern 16v units. Even the earliest Focii had them in late 1998. 1.4 had 75 bhp (now 80bhp). 1.6 has 100bhp (a variable valve timing version has 115bhp). These engines were confusingly marketed as Zetec, Duratec, and Duratec SE.

I think you are confusing the old pushrod 8v 1.3 Endura engine here. This is now sold in low spec. Fiestas and Ka's.

There's nothing much wrong with the 1.4 16v engine. The Focus is not a light car however, and carries a lot of safety protection which is heavy, so it feels a bit underpowered. The 1.6 is about right, and is no heavier on fuel.

I drive a 01 1.4 Focus zetec and love it. I will definetely choose another focus when i trade up. Any thoughts on diesel models though?

I drive a 01 1.4 Focus zetec and love it. I will definetely choose another focus when i trade up. Any thoughts on diesel models though?

I owned 2 x 1.6 110bhp TDCI diesel Foci and they were excellent. Frugal, quiet, and had very good punchy performance too.

There is now a problem though.

Ford have since made a decision to sell only the lower powered 90bhp version of the same 1.6 TDCI unit here. You can get a 115bhp 1.8 TDCI btw.

Is there any model in between the focus 1.6lx and the focus 1.6 ghia?

I'd love a ghia (my fiesta is that model), but they are very hard to find in hatchback.

Just wondered if there is an in-between the basic (LX) and the Ghia?

thanks.

I thought the Zetec had everything that Ghia had and more no? Anyway...Zetec is what you want :)

Just to update here. I test drove an 05 1.4 Ford Focus 1st ed. at the weekend. After my car turning into a rust bucket, I assumed i'd get in and love it and frankly i didnt. I found it akward and the dashboard just felt wrong. It felt nice on the road but the interior just didnt 'fit'. It was €17950 and i was getting €2750 against my own.

Now, i just couldnt resist and had a quick flick at pre-owned golfs and i found an 04 1.6 sportsline (3dr but no kids so can live with it!) with 48k miles on clock. Selling for 16950 and offering 3000 against mine. i am so so sorely tempted? Good or bad decision?

My recommendation would be to go with what you like: none of these are "bad" cars by a long shot.

One thing though: even if you don't need five doors, they're a lot easier to sell down the line, as most people do need them on cars like this.

On a personal note, I'd try and find one with a/c, but that's probably asking too much from a Golf, as I don't think any of the range had it fitted as standard.

Main thing though: haggle like crazy with whatever you decide to get!

really is the 5door thing important?

I had a/c on my own car for 5yrs - think i used it twice. We dont really ge the weather for it...besides i like to be a bogger with me arm hanging out the winda!

really is the 5door thing important?

To be honest, I don't really know: just what I was told once. I had a 3 door VW Polo and when it came to trade it in was told everyone wanted a 5 door. My reaction at the time was "I wish you told me that when you sold me the ******* thing!". On reflection, this may just have been sales talk: if it wasn't the 3 door issue he would no doubt have found something else to use to talk the price down.

Maybe someone more knowledgable could comment?

i cant believe nobody has even suggested the Skoda Octavia.Widely regarded as the best hatch on offer in the market ( It looks like a saloon but its not) at only €20k for a decent spec for the 1.4 engine, its impossible to pass considering the build quality, drive quality and resale.

i cant believe nobody has even suggested the Skoda Octavia.Widely regarded as the best hatch on offer in the market ( It looks like a saloon but its not) at only €20k for a decent spec for the 1.4 engine, its impossible to pass considering the build quality, drive quality and resale.

It's a good solid car alright...but it ain't no Focus :)

Plus the 1.4 Oktavia is dreadfully underpowered.

Regarded by whom? Doesn't reflect in sales nor awards.

Usually come only in poverty spec. Dangerously underpowered 1.4 engine.

Apart from that they make a very good taxi. Big boot as you say.

Just to update here. I test drove an 05 1.4 Ford Focus 1st ed. at the weekend. After my car turning into a rust bucket, I assumed i'd get in and love it and frankly i didnt. I found it akward and the dashboard just felt wrong. It felt nice on the road but the interior just didnt 'fit'. It was €17950 and i was getting €2750 against my own.

Now, i just couldnt resist and had a quick flick at pre-owned golfs and i found an 04 1.6 sportsline (3dr but no kids so can live with it!) with 48k miles on clock. Selling for 16950 and offering 3000 against mine. i am so so sorely tempted? Good or bad decision?

I told you the 1.4 wasn't strong enough ;)

The Focus can be adjusted in just about every way possible as regards seats, steering etc. Perhaps you didn't fit it, as opposed to t'other way around?:rolleyes:

A Golf is a fine bus but is no better to drive or own. It will be less reliable, and costs a lot more for no better quality.

In light of the initial poster's list of cars, it's interesting to see in today's Irish Times the table of costs over three years: Focus, VW and Toyota come out on top. As I mentioned before, none of these are bad cars, so it's largely down to personal preference I would have thought?

Back