Motor Best insurance for someone just returned from an EU country?

Green in Wien

I’ve returned to Ireland after nearly a decade living in another EU country. I had a motor insurance policy in my own name for the whole period and no claims and evidence of such.

I have rung a few Irish insurers looking for quotes and they don’t seem to be willing to take into account an NCB from another EU country. Another factor seems to be my license which I haven’t converted back to an Irish one yet.

I am getting quotes in the €700-€900 space whereas if I had the NCB in Ireland and an Irish license, the quote would be more like €350.

Are there any insurers in the Irish market that specifically take into account and EU NCB when quoting?

Can't answer your direct question, but if I were in your position I'd be talking to a few insurance brokers to feel out the lie of the land.

Many of them must be arranging cover for not only returning emigrants but also newly arriving immigrants.

I should have made it clear but I actually approached two brokers.

Someone told me Zürich good for this, so I will try them and see how I get on

This is very annoying.

OP's current driving licence seems perfectly adequate as far as the law is concerned.
OP should be able to convert this to an Irish licence.
Assuming that there are no complications the conversion looks like a basic administrative exercise.
Link https://www.rsa.ie/services/licensed-drivers/driving-licence/exchange-foreign-licence
My point is that there seems to be no apparent underwriting justification for discriminating against a valid EU licence.

I have never understood the insurers attitude to NCB earned outside of Ireland.
NCB is, in part, a reflection of claims history.
If I drive for 5 years in France and earn a full NCB - and survive - why is that so different in terms of risk presented ?

OP, it might be worthwhile asking the Central Bank about these two issues as they are the regulator.
Email link [email protected]

Driving on the opposite side of the road, differences in the rules of the road, e.g. roundabouts, lots of adjustments.
If that were such a concern insurance rates on rentals would be a lot higher.

Update: I talked to Zurich directly who will recognise an EU NCB and I’ve taken cover with them.

Holding a non-Irish license seems to be a big risk factor still. Once I convert that the price will drop by about €200.

Thanks for the help.

Back