Best footwear for icy / snowy weather

Can you wear the 'get a grips' on any type of shoe or do they work best with runners?

Can you wear the 'get a grips' on any type of shoe or do they work best with runners?

It seems that there are 2 types. One for shoes with a heel and one for flat shoes. I posted on another thread yesterday that The Irish Times online shop is selling both types.

Well, I bought a pair of wellies in Penneys and they're doing fine. No falls yet (touch wood!)

Also use 2 walking sticks or poles and a ruck sack not a unilateral bag.

gGves you extra balance and prevents that classic sudden slip backwards.

Would furniture pads on shoes make them non-slip in the ice? (the things you stick on the table and chair legs to protect wooden floors)

I find they are working best for me on boots that have a doc marten type sole - a bit of a lip to secure them above.

Theyve been a lifesaver for me - after a couple of falls last winter Ive been terrified on the compacted snow/ice - but with these on I can stride about with confidence.

I used wellies when the snow was proper snow - but once it went icy again I switched back to the boots the the Get a Grips on them.

Hi All,

I bought these Ecco (ladies) Goretex boots when the snow first arrived about a week ago. They were €120 in my local shoe shop and I can honestly say they are worth it.

I have walked about 2 miles to work everyday through heavy snow and compacted ice and they really have a great grip,are very warm and best of all are completely waterproof. Shake the snow from them and you would never think to look at them that you had left the house.

What I probably like most about them is that they are very light and neat looking under a pants - so much so you could actually wear them working. I'm not normally a fan of Ecco but to be fair this time I can't complain.

Hi All,

I bought these Ecco (ladies) Goretex boots when the snow first arrived about a week ago. They were €120 in my local shoe shop and I can honestly say they are worth it.

I have walked about 2 miles to work everyday through heavy snow and compacted ice and they really have a great grip,are very warm and best of all are completely waterproof. Shake the snow from them and you would never think to look at them that you had left the house.

I got a pair of these last week for €132 with a 20% discount, very comfortable, warm and dry and great in the snow, but still not much grip on the compacted ice but then I wasn't expecting them to. Some of the camping/footware shops down around mary street/capel street said they were hoping to get more yak tracks or equivilent product in mid-week. I'll still be picking up some of them too.

These are what I bought, they have latex ridged soles. Not totally slip proof if you're looking to stride around but they have a good grip and you could wear them anywhere really. Totally waterproof as well.

Ice grips to add to shoes anywhere in Wicklow

Any shops Wicklow or south Dublin stock the ice grips thingys for over shoes?

Back