Best Deals on Slates

lastbuilders

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of doing a self build and hope to have the foundations finished in the next 2 weeks (weather permitting). I have the timber frame ordered and should be delivered by mid november. I have not looked into slates yet and was hopeing someone could provide me with some information as to the best deals for buying slates. Also can anyone give me a guide as to the cost of slates for a former bungalow?

Lastbuilders

It all depends if you want natural or fiber. Natural slate is quite expensive for a good grade(over €3) and you don't really save much if you get a poor slate as there will be more wastage and the roofer will charge more. Our roofer said he would charge €1.25 for a man made slate, €1.50 for a good quality natural slate such as Blue Bangor and €2.00 for Brazilian slate etc. You can get fibre slate from €1.05 + vat up to around €1.60 or so and depending on what your looking for. Fibre slates with riven effects on them are at the upper end , while a plain slate that doesn't have a colour warranty is on the lower end of the scale. One or two roofers have recommended Tegral slates to me. BTW I think you have to buy them in boxes of 900 or 1000 so you may have to factor this into the cost (not sure, haven't reached that stage yet)
Eve

Hi, We are in the process of building a bungalow at the moment and have used Cupa natural slates. Quality seems to be very good, and the price seems to compare well with other brands. In the Republic you can only get them in the Brooks Group stores, but they can be bought in the north too, and VAT free if you're registered.

Back