Best Car buy in UK

clarecelt

Hi,
I am thinking of purchasing in UK prior and wondering which cars are the best value in UK.

I am interested in a Toyota Rav 4 but dont know if there is a great saving in purchasing in the UK

Also interested in an Audi A6....any comments appreciated.

Massive choice over there and good value for somebody who is thorough and careful.

I don't like 4x4's much, but a nice fsh low mileage A6 woud be nice. The 1.8T suits Irish conditions well.

Agree with RS2K.

4x4s are a fad and in a year or two you wont be able to shift most of them (except luxury ones) for love or money. If the oil price doesnt kill them off, the govt will see it as a very popular revenue raising opportunity.

Get a BMW 320CD

The diesel coupe. Loads of power runs on fumes.

They are like hens teeth here in Ireland.

The older the car the better importing from the UK works out. The VRT is worked out at a flat depreciation rate per year, so for cars like BMW/Mercedes that don't depreciate as quickly as other cars, the VRT in relation to the cost of the car will be relatively lower than if you buy a new car.
My brother bought a '95 Merc in UK and is delighted with it. OF course he did a lot of research and got an RAC check done before agreeing to buy it.

Helen

How did your brother sort out buying the merc.

Had he a friend source over there?
Or was it a case of watch the net and take a trip or 2.

Any pitfalls or advice?

Wouldn't mind bringing in a nice merc coupe or something like that, maybe a future classic.

Seem to be poorer condition and overpriced here in Ireland.

Hi Frank,

He knew the car spec he wanted and kept an eye out for it on autotrader. He spoke to the seller then got one of his friends who lived locally to cast his eye over it. The guy wasn't a large dealer but he did dabble in buying and selling cars.
I'll PM you the details of the guy he bought from, at least you will know someone bought from him before. You could tell him exactly the car you are looking for and he might try and source one for you.
The only advice is to get a full RAC check done before buying.
Apart from that he is delighted with his car a year later.

Helen

I've imported 2 A6's 1.9 TDI on the last few yrs for the following reasons:

1. A6 1.9 TDI is less popular in the UK than the A6 2.5 TDI and thus has a proportionally lower UK dealer price
2. VRT is at 25% as its just under the highest rate cut off
3. A6 1.9 TDI is a good car to sell privately in Ireland when its time to change thus you are going back to the UK as a cash buyer
4. The 1.9 TDI is a very reliable engine
5. Tax and insurance costs are reasonable

Hi UptheBanner,

As you seem to have good experience in the UK market, what year car would you suggest ??

I am trying to decide on Audi or Toyota Landcruiser..HOwever there doesnt to be much saving on Toyota Landcruisers.

Hi Clarecelt,

I agree with RS2K re 4x4's, they are not fun to drive so in terms of the best value for money A6 I suggest a 2001 reg 1.9 diesel with 115 BHP. The 130BHP model is proportionally expensive in comparision (however I did purchase a 130BHP for my own usage and also got it enhanced by www.superchips.co.uk to output 160BHP). I believe from 2002 all A6's are 130BHP.

Last year I bought (for my wife's usage) a 1 owner, 2001 A6 115BHP, with 71k miles for 7k sterling and it had a full Audi service history. The mileage was a littele high but my better-half only does about 7k per annum. With all costs added (VRT, RAC check in the UK, Flight, Ferry) its came to 16k euro; I hope to sell the A6 next Dec/Jan for 16k !!! Also because the UK reg plates change every March and September cars registered after Sept are more expensive. This is to our advantage in Ireland as you can purchase a pre Sept reg from the dealer and use this fact to talk the price down.

Thanks UptheBanner,
I am scouring through Autotrader at the moment. Still thinking of taking a Toyota Landcruiser for a trial drive :) !!!

Whats storage space like in the A6 ???

Clarecelt

The boot depth in the A6 is huge (120cm) so we can fit lengthways a pushchair, a set of golfclubs and a large suitcase. Interior-wise there is plenty of space in the back for our 2 and 5 yr old children and their toys/books etc.

I also got a roofbox in NI (I'm again sorry to say the rip-off culture here forced me to buy abroad) for long family holidays for transportation of the travel cot, highchair etc.

It a good car to drive with plenty of grip when cornerning and decent pickup between 50-75 mph. Feedback from the steering is poor so it'll never be a purists driving car. I've driven various Jeeps and even the X5 I found is like a lump of jelly cornering so I've decided to stick with large saloons for our family car.

Hi again,

Just wondering if you buy a 52 reg car in UK...ie. reg period Sept 2002 to March 2003. Is this registered in Ireland as a 2002 or 2003 car.

Thanks

does anyone have any experience of bringing in a commercial vehicle from UK, I have been pricing the Tototo Landcruiser 3 door swb commercial in Ireland best price quoted is €35k for a 06 model, I am registered for vat as a tradesman.
Any info would be great thanks

Bringing in a commercial vehicle is no hassle at all.

Basically find the van,jeep you want and you pay 50 Euro registration fee in your tax office..

The above is over simplified . I think you need to fill in some form regarding the export of the vehicle from UK to Ireland.

clarecelt said:
Hi again,

Just wondering if you buy a 52 reg car in UK...ie. reg period Sept 2002 to March 2003. Is this registered in Ireland as a 2002 or 2003 car.

Thanks

Its based on the month+year of manufacture

Clarecelt, What about a BMW X5 3d, there very popular here and in the UK

a 01 or 02 car can fetch from 15K to 25K stg.

*UPDATED*
I know people bringing this type of Vehicle into Ireland, Converting them for Commerical use.
I.E. removing the rear seats, replacing side rear glass windows with metal. thus making the vehicle a lot cheaper option to own.

[broken link removed]=

Thinkingh about buying a BMW 320D 2001-2003 with up to 50k miles. I would plan on keeping the car for about five years with annual mileage of 20k so the car would have done about 150k when I come to dispose of it. The question is: would it do that sort of mileage without needing any major work?

Back